Walmart and sams land iphone contract??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by irish4usa, Nov 19, 2008.

1. irish4usa macrumors newbie

This is the artical I found today...

view this article at: http://www.appleinsider.com/article...gin_selling_iphone_post_holidays_reports.html

wednesday, november 19, 2008 @ 11:10am

Wal-Mart to begin selling iPhone post holidays - reports

Mega-discount chain Wal-Mart, along with subsidiary Sams Clubs, will join Best Buy in offering Apple's iPhone 3G to their customers just days after Christmas, according to new reports.

In an email to clients on Wednesday, JRPG Research analyst Jamie Townsend said his firm has reason to believe that Wal-Mart will begin stocking the touch-screen handset by the end of December.

"We expect purchase of an iPhone will still require a two year contract with AT&T and is likely to be priced the same or less than at AT&T or Apple stores," he wrote.

The analyst, who is forecasting Apple to sell 8 million of the devices during the three-month period ending December, said the move would reinforce confidence that AT&T will be able to maintain strong new subscriber growth amid a slowdown in the consumer market.

He expects Apple will be just one of several smartphone vendors that will ramp up competition in the smartphone market by discounting their excess inventories immediately following the Christmas holiday.

Townsend's report echos claims published by BGR on Tuesday. The mobile phone rumor site published a memo from Wal-Mart to its employees announcing plans to launch the iPhone nationally on December 28th.

"We are pleased to announce that Wal-Mart has reached agreement with Apple to offer iPhone 3G in Wal-Mart and Wal-Mart-managed Sam’s Club Connection Centers nationwide beginning December 28, 2008," the memo says. "AT&T will support Wal-Mart and Sam’s Club with the activation process for iPhone 3G, and we need all National Retail employees engaged to ensure a successful launch."

In total, approximately 2,500 Wal-Mart locations and 69 Sam’s Club locations that use the discount chain's ordering system are expected to carry the device. Training for Wal-Mart employees is schedule to begin early next month, running up to the post-Christmas launch.

Wal-Mart is the world's largest public corporation and private employer, operating over 3500 Discount and Supercenter locations in the United States, in addition to more than 500 Sam's Club warehouse clubs. The retailer is also one of Apple's highest volume iPod resellers worldwide.

In his email Wednesday, Townsend also suggested the possibility that Sam's Club's larger rival, Costco, may also be in line to carry the iPhone post-holidays, though no further details were provided.

Rumors that Wal-Mart was next in line for the Apple handset began swirling last month, though they originally suggested that the discount chain would begin selling the device on November 15th.

2. jlwillia macrumors regular

hhhmmmmm, I don't know what to think of this. I love Wal-mart and Sam's Club for the obvious price benefits. Seeing an iPhone at Wal-mart will be a little counter-intuitive.

3. DigMe macrumors 6502

They already have the whole iPod line including the Touch.

4. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I think it's great. People will be surprised though because the price won't drop.

5. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

it'll be like going to mcdonalds for a 5 star steak meal...

I ll gladly keep my 1st gen iphone thank you

6. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I'm not even convinced that it will even happen. Doesn't sound like a Steve Jobs idea. Apple seems to like exclusivity. I would not be surprised if this was proved to be a fake.

7. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

The easier it it to get an iPhone the better, I think.

I've definitely seen some iPhone snobs out there who think that you must have a certain status in life to own an iPhone and part of that status includes not shopping at WalMart.

Oh well.

8. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I think Steve Jobs is one of those. he has made repeated references to Dell and how he thinks they made a mistake selling their stuff at Walmart.

9. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

Oh, I would guarantee Steve Jobs is one of those. The rest of us need license plates on our cars, so why not Mr Jobs.

He already sells the rest of the iPod line at Walmart, though, so I can't see how adding the iPhone would be a huge step.

I also think that shopping at Walmart has more of a stigma on the coasts than it does in the middle of the country. In the midwest, a Walmart might be the only major retailer for 50 miles, where as in San Francisco, it's very easy to avoid Walmarts. My sister lives in San Francisco and has sworn off Walmart shopping.

10. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

The same reason he doesn't sell his computers there. This is a flagship item. And of course.....control. I could be wrong though.

11. DigMe macrumors 6502

I bet that earned her all kinds of social points.

12. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Whether the iphone is at Walmart, Costco, Kmart, or even Big Lots it *still* will come with its hugely expensive data plan. Even if the iPhone were free, I just don't see many cost conscious consumers willing to sign a 2 year contract.

13. markgamber macrumors 6502

Cost conscious consumers don't shop at "It worked twice in China" Walmart as there's a difference between a value and just cheap. They could mark the phone down $10, jack up the plan price $10 a month for two years and a lot people would think it's a bargain.

"If it's food, it's made in China and it's not Chinese food, it's NOT FOOD" :D

14. DigMe macrumors 6502

This makes no sense. Wal-Mart sells Apple, Sony (from Cameras to LCD TVs), Creative, HP, Dell, Samsung, Canon, Nikon, Remington, Winchester, Leupold, Berkeley, Etymotic, Panasonic, Sennheiser, Ultimate Ears, Garmin, Coleman, Buck, Head, Wilson, etc, and so-on and so-forth. This isn't extremedeals.com. It's a major retailer of major brands. Have you actually been in a Wal-mart or are you repeating something you heard someone say once? If you have been in Wal-Mart then your statement doesn't reflect it.

15. markgamber macrumors 6502

My wife bought an LCD tv at Walmart a year or so ago. It looked like a decent deal until it got home. That's when it was determined that it didn't have the licensed code required for a cable box to talk to it. Oops...no component inputs, either. For a widescreen, somewhat large LCD TV there's nothing but composite input...seriously? No wonder it was cheap. I've long since forgotten the manufacturer but it was a "big name". So back it went and I started really looking at what was there and, for at least one reason or another, there was nothing I'd want to buy. The prices were ok but nothing compared to what I already had and what I already had was nothing great. Sure, they have a few iPods and a couple decent laptops but by and large and at least around here, Walmart is mostly stocked with low priced, low value junk. K-Mart is even worse. Costco is a magnitude better. They're even stocking a pretty nice UMPC with a gig of RAM and Windows XP for $400. What did Walmart have? Oh right...the bottom of the barrel EEE PC with Linux which buyers didn't understand and lasted about two weeks...surprise surprise. Remember the crap Jaguar pushed out the door after they were bought by Ford? Suddenly almost anyone could put a Jag in the driveway....for about six months. Then it wasn't such a bargain anymore.

16. DigMe macrumors 6502

Acer Aspire anyone? Windows XP and 1 GB of RAM - $398.

As far as TVs, sorry that your wife didn't do her research. However, I'm not following your logic of "My wife didn't do her research before buying a TV, therefore Wal-Mart's Sony and Samsung LCDs and Panasonic plasmas suck."

My nitpick wasn't about whether or not you can get it cheaper somewhere else but about your statement that they only sell junky products.

I bought my Etymotic ER6i headphones there with a gift card I won. Does Etymotic suck now because they are sold at Wal-Mart?

17. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

seriously, walmart is just one of the reasons this country is going downhill. their cheap prices are there because they employ people part-time for low wages and no benefits

18. jlwillia macrumors regular

This isn't a political forum, but take an economics course dude. This benefits everyone except those workers. The people that are "forced" to work at Wal-mart are in that situtation because they don't have much to offer an employer. They are low-skilled. This also benefits the youth of our country because it encourages them to become highly educated and have valuable skills to offer an employer.

Moral to the story: as long as you don't work at Wal-mart, it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. If you do work at Wal-Mart, you need to gain a skill to make your labor more valuable.

Conclusion: Wal-Mart is great! I get goods for cheaper and if I want something of higher value, I chose to buy it elsewhere (Apple store). I win.

19. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

This is great news. What other way to make the iPhone feel like a bargain bin phone than to sell it at Sams Club. :D

They may even have a discounted price, or skip the activation for it.

I see the iPhone becoming (or already as) the new Razr. Except you could drop the Razr and it would still work.

20. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

T-Mobile charges $39.99 a month just for data - phone service is not included in that price.

Verizon charges $39.99 for 50 Mb or *gasp* $59.99 for 5 Gb
    . This doesn't include phone service, either.

Sprint gets $69.99 for data and 450 anytime minutes, exactly the same as AT&T's iPhone plan.

I'm going to have to disagree with your characterization of AT&T's plan as "hugely expensive." Seems they're charging a very competitive price.

21. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

You are correct. It is very completive. As is there soon to be released tethering plan (right in line with their blackberry tethering cost. $30)

The problem is that is there are people here who can't seem to realize that maybe, just maybe they are not in the target market. (take tethering which is done by business people mostly so $30 is cheap.) but do not realize this and complain away.

Honestly, if you are phone company, and 90% of your tethering customers were businesses and professionals, why would you charge $5.99 and leave 24 dollars on the table each month?

22. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

I'm sure it will be 199.97 and 299.97. Thats the only price difference i see at walmart compared to everywhere else.

WHAT GREAT SAVINGS!!!!:rolleyes:

23. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I certainly don't disagree that the rates other *carriers* charge for their data plans are competitive with what AT&T charges. When I use the word, "expensive" I mean these plans are expensive compared to voice only plans that most people still have. Mobile internet is still quite a luxury for many. My point was will Walmart shoppers buy *any* phone with such a plan? Maybe they will--I don't know since I haven't stepped into a Walmart in a few years. If I made $25K a year and was living on my own, I certainly wouldn't want to be burdened with a $95 phone bill every month.

24. Corran Horn macrumors member

Walmart WILL get the iPhone

I can confirm that Walmart will get the iPhone. At work today I was told that we would have training over the next week or two for it, but we don't have any information on the pricing or when it will be released. I'll update when I know more.

Corran Horn