Walmart buyers beware

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dixie8123, May 7, 2012.

1. dixie8123 macrumors member

2. number84 macrumors 6502

This happened in Canada last year with iPad 2’s but instead we got clay models of iPads. I think now they don't accept cash returns without first opening the box and verifying the contents even if it's shrink wrapped.

3. Ipadfever, May 7, 2012
    Last edited: May 7, 2012

Ipadfever macrumors 6502a

Ipadfever

And here I thought having half a tinted screen was a big issue but at least the notepad's are most likely uniformed :D

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

5. JoltinJoe macrumors member

I have worked at Kohl's and have heard endless customer service tales. Before my time there, someone tried to return the box of a vacuum cleaner with weights inside to replicate the weight of the vacuum. People will try anything.

Absolutely inexcusable on Walmart's behalf to not open and check inside before reselling.

6. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Extreme-ultra-high resolution display? They just had to remove the whole "touchscreen" part.

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Not necessarily. Professional crooks have shrink wrapping machines. I don't know why Apple continues to use it.

8. Ipadfever macrumors 6502a

Ipadfever

I can only imagine how many they have done. They most likely blitz as many iPads as possible before this went news

9. illippinno macrumors regular

illippinno

When I bought the new iPad from a local Walmart, the cashier told me about a similar issue that happened in the store. She said that they've had a couple of iPads with "paper weight" inside, so during check-out, she asked if it was okay for them to open the box, and I agreed. Better safe than sorry, I guess.

I'm not surprised things like these happen. When I used to work at Comp USA, we've had people return iPods, and other electronics in sealed plastic, but inside are items that would be similar in weight to the items.

Things like this are a lot more common with people that have access to shrink-wrap and a blow-dryer.

10. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

Stores should not be allowed to resell returns.

Open box yes. Everyone knows what to expect, returns no way.

The product can be adulterated, re wrapped, dropped down a flight of stairs.

Its only the consumer who suffers.

11. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

This is so rare it's not worth much thought. Remember Apple chose Walmart, not the other way around.

It's all about mass market, super high volume sales.

That's Apples new focus.

12. mcsenerd macrumors regular

What I can't believe is that there is some woman running around North Texas and Oklahoma stealing like three iPads at a time! She's apparently already nabbed around 110 of them!

13. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I read a good bit of advice on the comments of that link: if you end up with a dud item and they refuse refund on grounds that you may be lying, look up the serial number on the box with Apple and check whether the warranty has been activated pre-purchase date. If so, you have pretty damning proof that you can't have taken it.

14. ZipZap macrumors 601

You're expecting Walmart workers to be saavy, empowered or even care. They dont.

You: "This proves that someone else activiated the warranty on this ipad..."

Walmart: "I dont understand...", "you made that printout on your home computer", "this is our policy, I cant do anything", or the most likely response "You're a thief and a liar leave or we'll call the police"

BTW...Good luck with trying to reach a real corporate number. Best bet if this happens, dispute the charge. If you cannot dispute, have your lawyer talk to their lawyer. Its the only way to get someone empowered to help.

I will NEVER buy anything of substantial value from walmart. Ever.

15. rkahl macrumors 65816

16. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Ditto. All my iDevices come straight from the source.

17. JoltinJoe macrumors member

Being able to resell is exactly what makes Walmart attractive to consumers. They have a lax return policy which adds comfort to shopping and they keep the prices down by reselling what is returned. If they had to mark every iPad as damaged that was returned, they'd be cooked.

18. Dangerous Theory, May 8, 2012
    Last edited: May 8, 2012

Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I wouldn't expect anything from store employees, just saying that you have the proof just escalate things.

19. ZipZap macrumors 601

To where....you obviously have never tried to escalate things at a Walmart. Damn near impossible.

20. taipan61 macrumors 6502

it was probably an inside job, having several employees who work for me that used to work at walmart's distribution centers i've heard stories that made me choose never to buy anything of "value" at a walmart