Walmart iPhone 4 return.... Apple Store??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by parker770, Jul 19, 2010.

1. parker770 macrumors member

I bought the IP4 on opening weekend, and every source in Dallas was sold out for walk ins, except for a single Walmart.

The phone has been so-so except for a serious problem with the proximity sensor(it does have the signal attenuation problem as well, no surprise there). While I am talking on the phone, the screen will randomly come back on, and inevitably some buttons get pressed by my cheek. Sometimes it just activates speakerphone, which is embarrassing, but often it hangs up on the person. I have had at least one call get disconnected every day, sometimes it has happened 5 or 6 times in a row on a single call. I have been in contact with Apple Support, and they have acknowledged that it is a pretty common problem, but we haven't discussed my options. The case is still open.

I have read about many people on here who have had their phones replaced due to the same issues, and I really would like to try my luck with one of the more recent build date phones.

My question is this, would I be able to return my phone through the Apple Store even though I didn't purchase it there, or would I be forced to go through Walmart? (This is something I want to avoid, if at all possible)

I have about a week longer until the 30 days is up, so I need to act quickly. Anyone have any experience with this?

2. ddoolin macrumors regular

ddoolin

The proximity sensor fix is coming in the next software update.

Just FYI, though you probably know...

Sorry I didn't answer your question. ;_;

3. Knoxville3G macrumors member

Yes, you can take your iPhone 4 back to the Apple Store for a warranty replacement. The phone is under warranty through Apple for the first year, so you'll easily get service for it at an Apple store....HOWEVER, keep in mind that the proximity sensor issue is a "known problem" and SJ said there will be a software fix for it in the upcoming update (I'm guessing 4.1?) SOOO...either take it to the Genius Bar for a possible exchange, or put up with it, wait for the software update, and see if that fixes it....if it doesn't, you can still exchange within the first year of ownership.