Walmart Now Offering Online Postpaid Smartphone Upgrades for AT&T Customers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Walmart today announced that its customers can now complete postpaid cell phone upgrades on the Walmart website for the first time, allowing Walmart to better compete with both carriers and retailers like Best Buy by offering online purchases.

Starting today, Walmart is offering postpaid cell phone upgrades for AT&T customers with a simple online upgrade process that Walmart says saves "up to an hour of time" when making a new phone purchase.

Customers on Walmart can select a carrier (limited to AT&T at this time but expanding to other carriers in the coming months), select a device, choose a payment plan from AT&T, receive the device with free two-day shipping, and then activate it following step-by-step activation instructions.

Walmart says that customers shopping for postpaid cell phones on the Walmart website will find the same low prices offered in stores, including up to $200 off Samsung and Apple devices.

Along with the new option to purchase AT&T smartphones from the Walmart website, Walmart today also announced plans to expand its wireless experts to 600 stores by the time the holidays roll around.

More than 3,000 Walmart stores will have dedicated experts in wireless to help customers upgrade their phones and activate new lines with major carriers.

To celebrate the expansion of its wireless expert initiative, Walmart is offering the iPhone X at a $300 discount when purchased on an installment plan, making the 64GB device $499. This offer is available in retail stores only.

Article Link: Walmart Now Offering Online Postpaid Smartphone Upgrades for AT&T Customers

Justanotherfanboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2018
I saw that graphic and thought to myself, "The payments for my first new car — after paying about half the cost upfront — were about $43.20 a month. o_O

Of course, that was decades ago. But still.

Hmmmm....
Yeah, a $6,000 car would be about $49/mo. for 72 months, if you paid $3,000 of it right off the bat.

And an $1,150 piece of electronic equipment will cost you $48/mo. for 24 months.

That honestly doesn’t say anything whatsoever about the cost of things going up, or anything remotely like that.
That’s just how math works.

meson

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2014
During my days in retail, markup on the items we sold was generally in the neighborhood of 40% over the wholesale cost of the item. Knowing the retail price vs. the wholesale price for equipment for one of my hobbies where components largely come from smaller retailers shows that this model likely holds true. I would not be surprised if Walmart is taking home $250 - $300 on a $1k phone. Sure they take significantly smaller margins on smaller items and even losses on some necessities, but for large ticket items, they are making their share.

bloomabanter

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2019
Don't bother with Walmart they are shady, my experience is as follows...
I made an order the same day this article was out and there were 7 units in stock, they cancelled it, even though stating they would only do so two days later. So I looked and saw again they had inventory, made another order - same scenario played out, except this time I contacted them via chat and asked them not to cancel it - they said fine but it might take 7-10 days which I agreed. So what happened next, I got a cancellation notice tonight, again 2 days prior to what they stated in the email. My conclusion... Walmart are either lying, or having people place orders to goose their site and then canceling them all. Do not trust Walmart they will not fulfill the order you might as well go somewhere reputable.
Here's what the site states right now...
DO NOT TRUST THEM.

Attachments

chino-rican

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Virginia
Don't bother with Walmart they are shady, my experience is as follows...
I made an order the same day this article was out and there were 7 units in stock, they cancelled it, even though stating they would only do so two days later. So I looked and saw again they had inventory, made another order - same scenario played out, except this time I contacted them via chat and asked them not to cancel it - they said fine but it might take 7-10 days which I agreed. So what happened next, I got a cancellation notice tonight, again 2 days prior to what they stated in the email. My conclusion... Walmart are either lying, or having people place orders to goose their site and then canceling them all. Do not trust Walmart they will not fulfill the order you might as well go somewhere reputable.
Here's what the site states right now...
DO NOT TRUST THEM.
I fell into this trap too. After several days of shopping cart issues and talking to customer service, which was horrible, I was able to place an order. A few days later I get a cancellation email. The weird thing is I just received a package yesterday with just the sim card inside. They even put it in a box meant for shipping phones.