Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spacial

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
Walmart is tarnishing Apples image, like a graffiti artist or "tagger" defiles a building.

Unfortunately it's Apples greed that is providing the paint.

Newton70

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
I assume that Walmart eats the discount price (i.e., the fact that the phone is discounted doesn't impact the price Apple sells the phone to Walmart). That said, this appears unprecedented for Apple...the discounting of a new product before it's even released. On the one hand, this may result in more phones sold and on the other hand it seems like a hit to Apple's image. I guess only time will tell.

thelasttruejerk

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2013
nice sammy phone photo

in typical walmart fashion, if you follow the link for the 5S it directs you to a page showing a verizon andriod phone.... nice work walmart

Lindsford

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
I assume that Walmart eats the discount price (i.e., the fact that the phone is discounted doesn't impact the price Apple sells the phone to Walmart). That said, this appears unprecedented for Apple...the discounting of a new product before it's even released. On the one hand, this may result in more phones sold and on the other hand it seems like a hit to Apple's image. I guess only time will tell.

I think it has more to do with getting more Apple products in more peoples hands. They understand people are impulse buyers thus placing it where shoppers dont do much research before purchasing wandering walmart. Once buying an iphone and being satisfied they may be interested and trying to add to the apple ecosystem whether it be an apple TV or a macbook.

Brand image? Nothing to worry about until they srart pumping out Macbook Colors lol.

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
$10 off is not going to make me shop there. FREE is not going to make me shop there.

rjlawrencejr

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
LA/OC/IE
Walmart is tarnishing Apples image, like a graffiti artist or "tagger" defiles a building.

Tarnished? How so? Your statement sounds so shallow and pretentious. Phones are no longer status symbols. They are appliances. Baed on your premise, iPhones should only be sold at Apple retail outlets and selected boutiques.

Given that line of thinking (and you're not the first person I have seen spout such nonsense), what brand of mobile phone is high end? Whose image hasn't been "tarnished"?

ALMF

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
I've never bought a phone at Walmart/Best Buy. Is one better than the other or are they about the same Customer Service wise?

I bought my iPhone 5 at Walmart for $50 off the normal cost. They did all the work that the people at AT&T would have done had I upgraded there. Was super easy and I would buy at Walmart again.

Phone was perfect too

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Feels like one of those 30 bucks off MacBook "specials" I see at BestBuy LOL.

The discount doesn't make any difference when you think about how much you're actually paying for that shiny new phone (incl. contract).

Sigh. What on earth are you talking about? $10 to $20 is still $10 to $20. How can you possibly say it "doesn't make any difference"? How much the contract runs in the long run is utterly and completely irrelevant.

cdylanmr

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2010
Space Coast
I wonder when you would receive the phone though.

Has walmart ever done pre-ordering before? If so, has any here pre-ordered from walmart?

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Given the discounts, I'm going to wager Apple gave vendors the option for deeper discounts out the gate, which translates to the budget iPhone most were expecting.

Good strategy.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

Wow. Now I know why some people hate Apple/Mac fans.

DeanKeith

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2012
San Antonio, TX
I did some unsuccessful searching before posting: Does anyone have any information if Walmart will carry all sizes and colors?

If so, any information on what the 32GB and 64GB 5S's pricing will be?

LyndaP

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2010
I have the same questions about prices on all colors and sizes, and I'm also wondering if the 24-hour Walmarts are selling them at midnight on the 20th local time, or Cupertino time? I have a 24-hour Walmart five minutes from me and it wouldn't be any big deal for me to run down there at midnight CDT and walk out with a phone. (I'd ask someone at Walmart, but the information you get from their employees isn't reliable.) :rolleyes:

thefunmachine69

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2013
California
I did some unsuccessful searching before posting: Does anyone have any information if Walmart will carry all sizes and colors?

If so, any information on what the 32GB and 64GB 5S's pricing will be?

Generally Wal-Mart's brick and mortar stores only carry the 16gb or lower models. You should be able to buy the 32gb and up from there online store.

DeanKeith

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Generally Wal-Mart's brick and mortar stores only carry the 16gb or lower models. You should be able to buy the 32gb and up from there online store.
Thanks for the info. Hopefully they'll have pricing on their site before the 20th so I can decide where I'm going to buy.

It may not seem like a big deal to most, but 4 of my 5 family members will likely be upgrading to 32GB or 64GB 5s models, so if the savings were $20 each for example, that'd save me $80. :)

Spacial

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
I noticed quite a number of articles online today regarding WalMarts 20% discount on the 5C. With its bright colors & youthful look I bet they will sell all they can get. This sets quite a precedent. Apples never discounted brand new iPhones from day one.

Wreckless316

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2013
Anyone have success preordering at Walmart today? My local walmart didn't even know what i was talking about

Perfect Score

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2013
Toronto Canada
Sigh. What on earth are you talking about? $10 to $20 is still $10 to $20. How can you possibly say it "doesn't make any difference"? How much the contract runs in the long run is utterly and completely irrelevant.

LOL this is why America's in financial troubles.

Refer to the laptopmag iPhone 5C plans. The cheapest plan will cost you $80 per month for 2 years. It comes to a grand total of $1956. So a $20 discount is 1% off. And I haven't included the upfront $80 paid to Walmart.

And if you get 5S, obviously the upfront goes up.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
LOL this is why America's in financial troubles.

Refer to the laptopmag iPhone 5C plans. The cheapest plan will cost you $80 per month for 2 years. It comes to a grand total of $1956. So a $20 discount is 1% off. And I haven't included the upfront $80 paid to Walmart.

And if you get 5S, obviously the upfront goes up.

Why are you putting it in percentage terms? There's zero point in doing so. I repeat: IT IS STILL $10 or $20. Trying to put it in "perspective" is, actually, how people get themselves in financial trouble. They continue to justify the accumulation of small costs as inconsequential, but in the grand scheme of things, they add up.

Please see the discussion I already included earlier regarding how to perform an economic decision analysis. Sunk costs should never be included, and in the short-run, neither should fixed costs. The cell phone contract and the "basic" cost of getting a phone fall into those buckets.

Perfect Score

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2013
Toronto Canada
Why are you putting it in percentage terms? There's zero point in doing so. I repeat: IT IS STILL $10 or $20. Trying to put it in "perspective" is, actually, how people get themselves in financial trouble. They continue to justify the accumulation of small costs as inconsequential, but in the grand scheme of things, they add up.

Please see the discussion I already included earlier regarding how to perform an economic decision analysis. Sunk costs should never be included, and in the short-run, neither should fixed costs. The cell phone contract and the "basic" cost of getting a phone fall into those buckets.

Not buying the phone = no sunk or fixed cost. You won't be locked into an expensive contract if you just use the old one.

Percentages matter because people think "OMG I'm saving $10! What a steal! I have to get the cool phone" instead of "F%ck I ain't spending $2000 on a phone that's marginally improved."

It's called long term financial planning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.