Walmart Planning to Launch Original TV Shows on Vudu, Starting With 'Mr. Mom' Reboot

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 29, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Walmart is planning to expand Vudu by introducing original television shows over the next year, according to a report by Bloomberg. As it currently stands, Vudu offers users a way to rent and purchase movies and television shows, akin to iTunes.

[​IMG]

Now, the Walmart-owned service is planning to launch family-friendly television shows as a way to become a competitor in the ever-growing streaming TV market. These include a reboot of the 1983 comedy "Mr. Mom" (debuting as early as June 2019), a science-fiction show, and a police procedural drama similar to "CSI."

The difference is that Walmart won't require a monthly subscription to access these shows, but will instead generate money through "new advertising technology." This is described as "shoppable" content, with television shows that can directly lead to customers buying products online: "Not only will viewers see ads, they will have the option to buy products seen in shows, such as paper towels or soft drinks."

Although there are differences, Vudu will become one of many streaming services producing its own original TV shows. These include Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Apple coming later this year. Apple's service will be called Apple TV+ and will include shows created and produced by Steven Spielberg, J.J. Abrams, and Oprah.

Comparatively, Walmart is "not in the running to produce the next 'Game of Thrones'," according to Bloomberg. In total, Walmart will produce at least a half-dozen original shows over the course of the next year, and will be meeting with advertisers in New York this week to pitch its plans.

Article Link: Walmart Planning to Launch Original TV Shows on Vudu, Starting With 'Mr. Mom' Reboot

2. AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

I was too young to get to be confused upon learning that Apple was entering the mobile phone market.

Thanks to Walmart, I'm getting a taste of that confusion.

3. Zoboomafoo macrumors 6502

I'll take things no one asked for for $500 Alex.

4. jerry16 macrumors regular

jerry16

This is beginning to be reminiscent of everyone launching "stories" a few years back - now it's original programming. How about an original idea instead?

5. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

6. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

Actually, when it comes to this situation in particular, there is no reason to be confused. Walmart is struggling to keep up with Amazon. Result: Copy everything Amazon does.

7. jerry16 macrumors regular

jerry16

A new subscription for every show you want to watch. Yay! We are back to a full channel lineup - 95% of which goes unwatched.

8. Breaking Good macrumors 65816

It is rather odd that Walmart didn't see this freight train barrelling down the track at it.

How long did Walmart think it was going to take before Amazon figured out how to ship everything that Walmart sells in its stores?

9. seezar macrumors regular

I’m sure a lot of people. If one doesn’t use iTunes for movie/tv show purchasing it’s the next best option.

I use it regularly. I have a digital movie library of almost 2000 movies and quite a few tv shows.

Amazon would be another alternative but their prime app for viewing your own digital library on streaming devices stinks, can’t sort or reorder your own library from anything other than recently added. And they make you scroll the library horizontally.

Now whether I’d watch Vudu self-produced content, I’m not sure.

10. Intellectua1 Suspended

Intellectua1

It's obvious they have an audience otherwise they wouldn't be investing in their video service. Asking people here about having a Vudu account is like asking people here about having a Play Movies account (Google), you'll never get full understanding of the size of their base
    --- Post Merged, Apr 29, 2019 ---
    I thought it was said that Walmart was one of the only box stores that could actually afford to and compete with Amazon because of the huge presence they have? I wouldn't bet on Walmart going anywhere like those other out of business stores anytime soon, they got deep pockets over there and can afford losses until they improve their model to compete.

11. OriginalMacRat macrumors 6502

I only used it when T-Mobile Tuesdays had Vudu rental credits...

12. Intellectua1 Suspended

Intellectua1

My girlfriend and her dad keep buying her son DVD's which pisses me off because I just made my girl get rid of her 200+ collection like 3 years ago. I told her and her dad to stop buying him DVD's and that I will open him a digital account where they can buy him movies as well as convert all his DVD's to digital buy the end of this year. I've been looking at Movies Anywhere but never really thought about Vudu, I'll have to check it out.

13. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Why don’t you want DVD’s/make her get rid of her collection? Taking up too much space?

Most people I know seem to want to continue to own their existing movies in DVD form. My husband ripped most of our DVDs but insists on keeping the DVDs. I’m okay with that for now, but someday when we downsize to a small condo, there’s no way we can keep them. They take up a lot of room, so that is my objection to them. I was just curious if that was your objection as well.

14. Fofer macrumors 6502a

VUDU is a major player in the digital video market and Walmart bought VUDU over 9 years ago.
    I do, a lot. Their disc to digital program was (and is) a cheap and easy way to build a large library. Now a very large percentage of those titles are in my iTunes library as well, thanks to Movies Anywhere. VUDU is on AppleTV now too.

15. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

I actually had to Google what Vudu is.

Hard pass, Walmart.

16. coolfactor macrumors 601

17. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

There will only ever be one Mr. Mom. The one and only, Michael Keaton.
    You gonna make it all 220? 220, 221...whatever it takes.

Honey, if you call, and I'm not home...I'll be at the-aaah gym, or the gun club.

I love this shirt!
    I quote that movie all the time. One of my favorites.

18. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I think more than the people that watch iTunes TBH. UV was a huge market, now that MA is out and UV is closing, we will see a big move of users though.

19. Intellectua1, Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019

Intellectua1 Suspended

Intellectua1

I'm just an out with the old in with the new type of person so I consider DVD's old school and clutter when everything is digital and streaming these days, I also have 2tb of cloud storage I'm trying to make use of outside of backing up photos and docks. My original dream was to build a home media server by ripping all the Netflix thru mail movies I used to get as well as Redbox, and Library if I ever rented any but I never went thru with that.
    Long story short I just can't stand to see a bookshelf full of DVD's not to mention my personal crusade on reducing the bringing of plastic into my home that will eventually be thrown away and pollute the earth.

20. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

My post did not insinuate that they couldn't afford to compete. What I said is that they are behind. For a long time they have chosen not to compete, and now they are beginning to feel the consequences and adjust their actions. I don't think it's too late, but they have a lot of catching up to do—especially with the younger crowd.

21. chinito77 macrumors regular

chinito77

Kinda ironic to "launch original tv shows" with a "reboot".

22. switcher3365 macrumors regular

Um, no they're not. They're still the number one retailer in the world by a long shot based on revenue.

Yes, they are playing catchup against Amazon online like everyone else (with success). But they aren't struggling.

I just think everyone is playing copycat with the original video content thing, and Amazon is certainly not the lead innovator in that department. Half of America apparently has a Prime account, yet I'm always the only person in my circles who doesn't have Netflix and has seemingly viewed their entire original content library.... :)

23. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

If you're a retailer and your online experience isn't up to par then you are struggling no matter what your in-store numbers are because the future of retail is online. This is something they should have had in the bag years ago. Amazon is going to run them over if they don't get their crap together, and I don't want that to happen because Amazon needs competition. Most people I know aged 30s and under actively avoid Wal-Mart if possible and most are Prime subscribers who order multiple times per month from Amazon. It's also not helping Wal-Mart that they are one of the few remaining major retailers who doesn't support Apple Pay. They are stuck in the past.

24. switcher3365 macrumors regular

I get that, but I remember reading a bunch of reports in the past few months about how they are making gains online. While online shopping is increasing, Amazon and other digital-first retailers are opening bricks and mortar stores. I believe the companies that can provide the best blended experience will win. People in the industry call it omnichannel.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/20/walmart-is-outperforming-amazon-this-year-heres-what-it-means.html

Amazon is scratching its head wondering why it is failing to convert Prime shoppers into Whole Foods shoppers. I think initial media reports about how Amazon would rule grocery via Whole Foods was totally overblown and they seem to share a cozy relationship with the media similar to what some Android people feel Apple does.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bryanp...ert-prime-shoppers-into-whole-foods-shoppers/

Walmart's in store experience is lackluster, but their grocery pickup seems to be doing well, especially as an alternative to outsourced (aka marked up) services at local/regional stores via Instacart or Shipt. People who aren't into Walmart will use their drive-thru pickup service for groceries.

I don't think Amazon will be the lone player or whatever 10 years from now. Love 'em on hate 'em, Walmart does a good job of staying up to date on things (along with McDonald's in the fast-food arena), unlike Sears/Kmart. And unlike a lot of these cool things that take YEARS if ever to get to small towns, Walmart serves them too.

25. McG2k1 macrumors regular

McG2k1

Vudu is my preferred steaming service for digital movies. I’m a little worried that branching into original content is off from their core competencies. I guess one show is a fine toe to dip.