Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Is $100 off a HDTV really worth that much to some people, it's sickening, there appears to be a horrific lack of morals and common sense amongst a certain populous that is worryingly growing...

chainprayer

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
A few people get trampled every year, and it's really just wrong.

I hope Walmart (and every other retail that lets stampedes happen) has to pay a massive penalty for this, because they know this happens every year. Ticket systems work well (electronic stores use them) so I can't see why other retailers can't do the same.

Killed over pointless consumer goods...how sad. :(

how is it wal mart's fault? the idiots outside broke down the door to get in

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
There was a drive by shooting outside of a store in Lexington this time last year. It's all quite sad to see people act so stupidly in such situations.

They could not have the sales, or spread the discounts over the course of the month of December.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007

This type of behavior is neither new nor unexpected.

Black Friday injuries have been on the rise for some time, and retailers need to be held accountable to a certain degree, because they are goading customers and driving them into a frenzy over crappy deals.

I think it's reasonable to expect all retailers, including Walmart, to keep lines orderly. Best Buy (at least the one in my area) did this by putting up ropes to mark a clear line boundary and gave customers tickets to represent their place in line. No one was in front of the door, no one could run over anyone else (security was there too). Mind you I wasn't there to witness it because I stay away from Black Friday, but the news story last night showed a very clearly thought out process and Best Buy should be commended for their foresight.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
supposedly (with good reason) this was the heaviest advertised black Friday. Not the most deals, the most advertising. The ads are what get people into these frenzies and most people know that the $129 blu ray players in major short supply and that just adds to the chaos.

Around here Best Buy was showering everyone with ads about that blu ray player for at least a full week. When it came time for people to get them they found like 4-5 per store. So that is around 250 people, some who stood in line over night that will now all fight for the 5 blu ray players. I think that stores should not be allowed to mass advertise products that are in extermely short order. The whole purpose of it is bait and switch (especially when they are all gone), but it really creates an unsafe shopping experiance.

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
Yay consumerism.

But seriously, we saw this coming didnt we? It amazes me people the type of people who participate in Black Friday.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Black Friday injuries have been on the rise for some time, and retailers need to be held accountable to a certain degree, because they are goading customers and driving them into a frenzy over crappy deals.

People are intelligent enough to take responsibility for their actions, even if you believe that a retail store can drive a person "into a frenzy". Doesn't matter. The customers are responsible. They still have a brain, and they're still responsible for using it.

Ah great, is that where all the gang-bangers hang out now?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Is it? I've never experienced anything near what I read about Black Friday.

Maybe that's not entirely fair. :D

But then I've never experienced the things that are in the papers first hand in terms of Black Fridays either. Just long lines, crowded stores, the items on the advertisement are no longer available, and some grumpy people. But I've never been shoved, let alone stampeded during one.

My memory of boxing day in Toronto was that it was not crazy, but it was pretty crazy the last time I went (several years ago) in Vancouver. Although apparently Toronto has had at least one incident....

Anyway, I guess my point was simply that with people of any race, ethnicity, language, culture, upbringing, intelligence level, around the world, if you create the wrong circumstances for them (and Black Friday is the wrong circumstance for lots of Americans, it seems), then there is a high risk violence will ensue.

I guess it's time to regulate Black Friday. :eek: Either via torts or via laws, we should change things so this doesn't happen again....

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
People are intelligent enough to take responsibility for their actions, even if you believe that a retail store can drive a person "into a frenzy". Doesn't matter. The customers are responsible. They still have a brain, and they're still responsible for using it.

The problem is that we know the customers aren't capable of thinking on Black Friday, because a few of these stories happen every year, and they seem to get worse each year.

I don't see why Walmart can't go the way of Best Buy and implement crowd control. It's done at concerts, rallies, etc. Why not at a Walmart? When you know something terrible is probably going to happen but don't do anything to prevent it, I think you're partially responsible.
Ah great, is that where all the gang-bangers hang out now?

Don't worry, I'm sure the Transformers toys can handle them. :p

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
...a horibble (sic) tradition....
...there still needs to be a law....
While I disagree with your earlier sentiment that people like this should be put to death, I do have an extreme disdain for the whole Black Friday thing.

There is plenty of blame to go around. The individuals that did these things certaintly need to face charges, but I also fault American industry as a whole for fostering an environment where things like this are likely to take place sooner or later.

There is no need for a time-compressed, panic-mode shopping spree to kick off the holiday season. It's just a gimmick to get shoppers all worked up in a frenzy and into the stores in pursuit of some kind of bargain or other. And while it obviously works, it extolls moneymaking at the expense of customer safety. (How many more people end up getting sick because they were standing outside the store for hours in sub-freezing weather for the chance to have first crack at a 47" Samsung HDTV? While there are obviously no statistics to support this, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if there have been cases of people who got pneumonia and died from such silliness.)

Some of the shoppers said they were mad because they'd been in line since Thursday morning. Is that the point we've reached now? We're willing to miss Thanksgiving with our family in order to save a few precious bucks? :mad:

And the article made no mention of anyone being arrested in the fracas. How do you determine who's guilty when you essentially had a riot situation on your hands? With so many people, I doubt the Wal-Mart employees who tried to save this poor guy got a good look at anybody who did the trampling; they were trying to save their own asses as well.

It's insanity. I really do think the current Black Friday practice should be made illegal, and I really don't give a good goddamn if the businesses whine about it. The ticketing system some posters mentioned seems like a good alternative.

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
Anyway, I guess my point was simply that with people of any race, ethnicity, language, culture, upbringing, intelligence level, around the world, if you create the wrong circumstances for them (and Black Friday is the wrong circumstance for lots of Americans, it seems), then there is a high risk violence will ensue.

I totally agree, I was just curious if you had anything documented. I'll tell you this; I'm curious enough that I'm going to investigate the Eaton's Centre on Boxing Day.

Don't worry, I'll wear one of these:
38_3.JPG

Gray-Wolf

macrumors 68030
Apr 19, 2008
Pandora, Home Tree
I hope they catch those that trampled him, and prosecute them severely.

NEW YORK — Police were reviewing video from surveillance cameras in an attempt to identify people who trampled on a Wal-Mart worker killed when a crowd of post-Thanksgiving shoppers burst through the doors at a suburban store and knocked him down.

Criminal charges were still possible, but identifying anyone in the store's videos may prove difficult, said Nassau County police spokesman Detective Lt. Michael Fleming on Friday.

Other workers were trampled as they tried to rescue the man, and customers stepped over him and became irate when officials said the store was closing because of the death, police and witnesses said.

Police said about 2,000 people were gathered outside the Wal-Mart doors before its 5 a.m. opening at a mall about 20 miles east of Manhattan. The impatient crowd knocked the employee, identified by police as Jdimytai Damour of Queens, to the ground as he opened the doors, leaving a metal portion of the frame crumpled like an accordion.

"This crowd was out of control," said Fleming, who described the scene as "utter chaos."

Dozens of store employees trying to fight their way out to help Damour were also getting trampled by the crowd, Fleming said. Witnesses said that even as the worker lay on the ground, shoppers streamed into the store, stepping over him.

Kimberly Cribbs, who witnessed the stampede, said shoppers were acting like "savages."

"When they were saying they had to leave, that an employee got killed, people were yelling, 'I've been on line since yesterday morning,"' she said. "They kept shopping."

The 34-year-old Damour was taken to Franklin Hospital Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead at about 6 a.m., police said. The exact cause of death has not been determined

1128081507_M_112808_wal.jpg

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Mind-boggling.

Not only that someone was actually trampled to death, but that apparently the crowd en-masse lost their own senses of self-preservation. It's incredibly fortunate that their weren't more fatalities given that others were also injured.

Is it so damn difficult to stand in a queue?

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
How sad. I'm ashamed to say I live in the county it happened in. I just can't believe how people will act to save a few bucks.

Same here. Although I'm in OC now, it still disgusts me that people would do that.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Somebody make a movie called "Walmart". A cast of gigantic women buying piles of absolutely worthless stuff because it is on sale. Screaming children being abused. A back room where clothing is being sewed by crying children while being prodded by glowering Chinese soldiers. The same gigantic women eating 8000 calories at the food court. Unemployed males pushing carriages full of babies. Depressed employees stealing food out of the dumpsters. I could go on. Cultish Walmart advance operatives handing out money and threats to local politicos so their stores will be approved. Someone like Mr. Burns at the helm. It could be pretty funny.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
It looks like Walmart is getting some related attention for another fatality during apprehension of a thief:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/al-norman/more-mayhem-death-at-wal_b_148922.html

The Wal-Mart workers and one bystander held Donovan down, while one leaned on his back and another held down his arms and head. The police report says they told Donovan to stop fighting, and asked witnesses to call 911. By the time Donovan had stopped struggling, he had died.

"There will be no charges pressed," a spokeswoman for the city of North Myrtle Beach told the Sun News. Authorities said results from an autopsy in the case could take 'a few months.' In the meantime, officials simply concluded, "There is no criminal act." In the words of the County Coroner's office, "As far as I am concerned there is no case here." The family of Patrick Donovan is likely to conclude otherwise, and their lawyer might like to review the court records of one Stacy Driver.

Oh, the Huffington Post article on this topic is a fairly biased source... here's local press from Myrtle Beach, where this happened:

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/local/story/697943.html

Interesting:

An employee told police she saw a man in the store placing items inside Wal-Mart bags, the report stated.

The employee, another worker and a store manager approached Donovan as he tried to leave the store, and he struggled with them.

Another man outside the store said he was a retired officer, and he helped the employees wrestle Donovan to the ground until police arrived, the report stated.

The four held Donovan down. One leaned on his back and another held down his arms and head, while telling him to stop fighting, according to the report.

By the time Donovan had stopped struggling, he had died, said the report.

It's interesting that a bystander was involved in this one. It's certainly very sad that this person is dead. I guess it does raise the questions of... what the Walmart policy is (i.e. are they asking individuals who are not trained in safe restraint techniques or combat to engage physically with a perpetrator) as well as the issue of the line between well-intentioned bystander helpfulness and vigilantism.

If the bystander truly was a retired police officer, then he was trained in both combat/defense and safe restraint. So I would think that, particularly for him, a pretty high standard should be levied with respect to whether his actions constituted manslaughter or contributed to a wrongful death....

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
We also don't know if this person had any other health issues that caused him to die.

We know what killed the worker, he was trampled to death. We don't know what killed the robber.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
We know what killed the worker, he was trampled to death. We don't know what killed the robber.

This is very true... although his all cause mortality probability during those five minutes had he not been restrained is probably fairly low. The local news report stated that the autopsy would take a month or longer... which to me is fairly surprising. While I agree that, at this time, there's no evidence yet of a crime, they ought to be diligent in at least quickly obtaining an indication of the cause of death.

OTOH, some of the points I raised are irrespective of the cause of death. Workers should not be asked or expected to physically restrain anyone without proper training in safe restraint. Period. It's a recipe for disaster. In fact they should be clearly told not to engage in this. And if Walmart has not already done so, they need to work harder to educate their employees about this. Take the man's photo and/or a photo of his car and let the police deal with it.

Even if you don't care either about the death of the thief or of the stress this places the Walmart employees under (e.g. what if one of them develops PTSD?), it's also good business sense. The last time this happened with Walmart, according to one of the articles, they paid a $750,000 business settlement. A cost of doing business that is being passed on to their customers.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Most Wal-Marts on Black Friday will hand out tickets and let them in group by group. Why this Wal-Mart had it set up like it did was baffling to me. This is not good publicity for them at all.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Those statistics about the rapes and whatnot are pretty freaky. Walmart: Save Money, GET THE HELL OUT!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.