WAN printing using LAN printer, NOT USB, on Airport Extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by B74A, Nov 30, 2009.

1. B74A macrumors member

B74A

I was trying to set up my printer (HP 1515) so that I can print to it even when I am not on the LAN, but also using WAN. The airport extreme has now been set up for Bonjour and all that, but the HP printer is connected using an Ethernet cable, NOT USB. It seems the Airport printer sharing is made for connecting a printer to the Airport USB port, and NOT for any ethernet printers.

Is there any way I can print from outside - WAN - to my LAN printer, connected via ethernet to my airport?

I did not find any answer using google or search function here, as all I found assumes it is connected using USB, not ethernet.

Thank you

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

My guess would be to set it up using IP printing. You'd need to assign the printer a static IP address and forward a port to that specific address. Then you'd access it using your external IP followed by a colon and the port number. I'm not sure of the specifics, but one thing to keep in mind is that a lot of ISPs assign dynamic IP addresses. Your external IP today may not be your external IP tomorrow.

3. B74A thread starter macrumors member

B74A

I already have a dyndns address, so as long as it can be as www. and not a numeric address, that will not be an issue. But how to I assign the address to the printer?

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

That's where port forwarding comes in. You don't assign your printer's IP address to the dyndns, but rather set up a port to be forwarded to your printer's IP address on your network. Set up a static IP for your printer using either the printer's setup utility or DHCP reservation, then set up port forwarding to allow any traffic coming in on a specific port to be routed to that static IP address. Then when you want to access your printer, it should be as easy as typing "http://<domain name>:<port number>" if I'm remembering correctly.

5. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

I just want to echo what skorpien said, but emphasize that Port Forwarding is done in the router (in your case, the Airport Extreme). Ports used by standard OS X printing setups (Print & Fax prefs) are LPD = 515, IPP = 631, HP Jetdirect = 9100. I guess the trick for you is forwarding to the printer's IP address with port 9100 (tacking :9100 onto the IP address).