wanna be iPhone convert

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by quest7, Dec 22, 2013.

1. quest7 macrumors member

quest7

Tired of the android is, but do not know much about the iPhone. I can get pass the screen size, but do I need to change my music and movies format to put on a new iPhone? Also, I use a windows laptop, would this be a problem and how much would I have to depend on iTunes for stuff. I have no idea about iTunes.

The little hick ups on my gs3 are driving me crazy. And I dont always have time to hunt down problems and troubleshooting. Thanks everyone.

2. Mrbobb, Dec 22, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013

Mrbobb macrumors 601

Yes (Maybe).

Apple will take aac,mp3, wav, alac, m4r audio. NO wma, ra, au.

Wants qt, mov, mp4 video. NO avi, wmv, mpg(?).

If you have lots of contents on those other formats then you will have to spend time converting them.

You MUST use iTunes. There is an iTunes Windows.

Then the iPhone will work for you, but you can't go halfsie, you must BELIEVE else you end up fighting it.

You HAVE to metadata your audio files properly from the getgo, ID3 tagged.

You have no other option than to use iTunes, it got quirks, but plenty of us put up with it. Works if you don't fight it.

There is a rigid synching mechanism that you must follow, you cannot open the iPhone device and drag&drop stuff to it like a thumb drive.

Never owned an iPod? that's pretty much how the iPhone works.

3. iWooz macrumors member

No, you don't. Luckily there are many alternatives.

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Yes Einstein, there are ALWAYS other ways, but OP specifies NO HICK UPS, NO TIME.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Then don't use iTunes. The iPhone has been PC free since iOS 5.

6. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

7. quest7, Dec 22, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013

quest7 thread starter macrumors member

quest7

I heard something like that. I just want to make sure before making the leap. I came here to get good information to make a sound decision. I dont have the money for a Mac book, that is why I was wondering would that be a problem. I dont feel like tweaking my phone all the time, but some things I have gotten use to. Like downloading music straight to my phone.

Also, is there an app or program I need to use to convert all my music files? Also, I was thinking of getting the iPhone 5 with me update, does it still get good battery life after the iOS 7 update?

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

So that's it? Don't have to use iTunes. Period. Stop?

No details, no links, no personal cell# so you can be contacted 24x7?

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You haven't heard? We've been able to activate the iPhone without connecting to iTunes and use iCloud for syncing and backups for some time now. Google "iPhone PC free."

10. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

The only alternative would be to use a third party app like Google Play Music, but if he wants to use the native music app then he will have to use iTunes at least initially.

To the OP, the above is pretty much correct. You will have to sync your music with iTunes and convert to compatible formats. Using windows PC will not be a problem.

iTunes definitely has it's quirks but it's ok if you just go with the flow. After that, you can use icloud and iTunes Match.

11. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I started using Google Music earlier this year when I had my HTC One. Google released their music app for the iPhone a few months back and it works REALLY WELL. I'd suggest giving that a try(this is even easier if you're already a Google Music user, just install the app and sign in) before you start converting all your music and playing around with iTunes.

12. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Don't go in thinking this will fix everything. Apple has its share of problems too. Right now I'm trying to figure out why my music won't transfer to my iPhone. I don't do any clouds. Most of my music is purchased from a music store. Everything is uploaded as an MP3. I will figure it out :)

Go ahead and download iTunes. Start looking around. Check out some videos on Apple site and youtube to get you started. Right now you will see a lot of Apps and music for free downloads. Its not bad as some people think. Those that hate iTunes as those who just hate period. iTunes uses a database like mentality… if you go in thinking that then you should be fine. It would help if you keep your stuff organized. Make sure the songs have the artist, album, genre, and year listed..this way when you make a Smartlist (query) it will go over smooth.

13. quest7 thread starter macrumors member

quest7

Thanks everyone, I am going to head to the Apple store and ask some more questions. I want to make sure this is REALLY what I want to do, and not that I am just bored.