Wanna benchmark test for my new 4GB ram

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CEnTR4L, Aug 26, 2008.

1. CEnTR4L macrumors member

hi there

I've just bought a cheap 4GB RAM (2GB*2)
    and I'm not sure about the performance though (I'm kinda picky and hard satisfying)

I'd like please if you could provide me with an ideal benchmark for a 4GB Ram (in a MBP)

also a benchmark software to compare mine to the ideal one

Regards,

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Geekbench.

And what's the point of this benchmarking? You're not overclocking nor pushing your computer to the limit.

3. CEnTR4L thread starter macrumors member

thats ture, but I kinda want to be %100 or a bit less with that purchase :eek:

thanks for stepping by :)

if anyone have an ideal (not too cheap or too fancy RAM) benchmark, please post it or refer it...

:D

4. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

I don't think benchmark is really the word you're looking for. It sounds like you just want to test the ram to see if it's good. All you need to do is the apple hardware test. Put the installer disk that came with your mac into the drive, then restart while holding down the option key. (I think it's the option key, read what's printed on the disc first to be sure of what the hardware test mode startup key is.)

5. CEnTR4L thread starter macrumors member

I believe the 4GB is working properly if that's what do you mean... :confused:

6. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

It will be hard to notice a difference with the standard benchmarks when adding more ram. The big difference is when you actually use most of the memory for applications. Most benchmark will probably test the speed and use the available memory, that is what is installed.

Why don't you compare the current system with the benchmarks made before upgrading?

7. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

This sort of thing is largely a Windows running on a PC Wintel machine sort of concern. On a Wintel PC, you can go into your BIOS and change your RAM timings to 4-4-4-8 vs. 5-5-5-12 and measure the impact of this on your system's raw RAM bandwidth throughput using something like SiSoft Sandra, etc. Or overclock your Pc6400 to 855Mhz in your BIOS, etc. But, Macs don't have a BIOS so this sort of "RAM tweaking" isn't possible on a Mac, which is probably why alphaod asked why you felt the need to "benchmark" your RAM...

XBench performs some "memory tests", but the accuracy of XBench is the subject of some debate. With that in mind, you could compare your XBench memory test results to other Macs listed in the XBench database to get a ballpark idea... Or run SiSoft Sandra under Windows and try to find someone with an identical Mac that's done the same. Or maybe run Sandra first using your old RAM and run it a 2nd time using your new RAM, etc.