Wanna buy an Internet accessible storage device

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by superspiffy, Aug 28, 2007.

1. superspiffy macrumors 6502a

So I want to buy a network storage device that I can hook up to my home network and have it accessible from any wifi spot with my MacBook Pro. I want to do this because I want access to tons of data wherever I am and I want the data to be located safely in my house at all times. I know I can reuse an old PC and run Ubuntu on it to make a server, but I want an easier and more elegant solution.

2. TheChillPill macrumors regular

As much as it pains me to admit M$ might have come up with something decent, Windows Home Server will probably be ideal for you.

I plan to do the same - plus it doubles up as a media server (I have a D-Link DSM-520 media player connected to my TV). Sounds as though it will be good for Time Machine too. In fact, the only thing lacking is a mail server.

Granted, you can't buy it as yet, but it's due out any time now as far as I can tell.

3. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

look for something called "NAS" (networked attached storage). these are used in an enterprise environment. but recently, i've seen a lot of consumer enclosures that will do just what you are looking for. my co-worker bought one and is running NFS/CFS for his file sharing.

there is this as an example :
    http://www.lindy.com/uk/productfolder/03/32/32487/index.php

4. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Um, you do realize that OS X is unix right? It has built in server capabilities, you just have to click a few buttons. Then any drive connected to your Mac can serve its files over the net.

And as far as MS products go, they are the kings of FUD. They promise everything to keep you from buying a competitor's product, but then deliver little, if they deliver at all. Never wait for an MS product.

5. TheChillPill macrumors regular

Yes, but I was thinking from the point of view of remote access where you actually have the Mac with you (and thus you wouldn't be connecting to a mac). I was under the impression from the OPs post that he wouldn't have a mac sat at home/office.

6. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

All you'd need to do in that case is buy yourself an old G3 or G4 for $50 and set it up as a dedicated server.

7. TheChillPill macrumors regular

Again, true - but to quote the OP;

There are plenty of ways of doing this, but the OP specifically wants an 'elegant' solution. If he has discounted the option of reusing a PC, I suspect buying another Mac is less likely to be suitable.

Not saying my suggestion is any more suitable though, in fact the NAS enclosure is probably the best suggestion that would fit the bill for the OP.

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Why complicate matters with an entire computer to go wrong? It seems the OP is after something simple.

Not necessarily this, but perhaps something similar could work.

9. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

can't you put a HD on the new airport extreme basestation? ok, $179 but you'd get a good wifi router as well.

uhm, just saw that he want to access it from "any wifi spot". didn't get on first read that he meant "away from home". my bad, sorry. then the airport won't work of course.

10. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

Agreed about this.

I have been trialling this since Beta and it is good - there will be a couple of options for using Windows Home Server - buy it on a box, (HP, Medion, FSC will be releasing boxes), or buying an OEM copy from somewhere like eBuyer in the UK or NewEgg in the US.

This gives you the ability to stream media and have remote access via dynamic DNS domain name, xxx.homeserver.com and if your broadband router supports uPnP then it 'should' configure your router for remote access. I am a geek and I know I could have done everything with Linux, etc. however this does it out the box with very little effort!

I'm very new to Mac's and love them however this m$ product is a product I need and when the OEM DVD is released I will be using it, (with my mac of course!).

HTH

- D

11. phuong macrumors 6502a

man, that thing with built-in router is awsome. i think im buying one

12. andykemp macrumors newbie

13. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

I have the MyBook world edition hard drive and it's web accessible from outside its home network. About $250 for 500GB.

14. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

15. superspiffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep you guys nailed it. I don't want to use a clunky computer for this because the point is to have some small, compact enclosure that won't be too noisy nor power consuming considering it's going to be running 24/7. Not to mention I'd want something that I can pick up on a whim in case there's a *insert emergency or natural disaster here* and save irreplaceable pictures, videos, etc... Somehow I don't think I can do all of that with a reused desktop. Of course there's the Mac Mini, but if I had 600 bucks to burn I think I'd use it for a PS3 :D and I'm also looking for 1TB.