Wanna Set Up A Wireless Network: G? N? Gigabit? Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by babyfett, Sep 22, 2008.

1. babyfett macrumors newbie

I wanna set up a wireless network in my home and I don't have the cash to spend on an Extreme Base Station. But I'm not sure what I want/need for a router? I know N is faster than G, but I hear a G Gigabit is better than N. I know there's also an N Gigabit, but that gets into pricey territory again and I dunno if I need it. Here's what I want to do: Keep my iMac hardwired to the router and set up a wireless network for my iPod Touch and my wife's Dell Laptop. I also wanna add an Airport Express upstairs so I can run AirTunes as well as theoretically use it as a wireless access point for my DirecTV DVR to download On Demand videos. (I know the Express can do both, but I don't know if it can be both at the same time.) Anyway, any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i think you are getting confused. Gigabit ethernet is wired and has a speed of a gigabit/sec (1000 megabits/sec). 802.11g and 802.11n (or just G and N for now) are wireless protocols and have speeds of up to 54 megabits/sec and 300 megabits/sec respectively.

for your setup all you have to do is plug in your iMac by ethernet, setup your wireless network and then setup your iPod and Dell to receive the wireless signal and then plug in the Express upstairs and set it as a wireless extender in Airport Utility.

the Airport Express has N speeds so you may aswell go for the Airport Extreme as it has gigabit ethernet ports and a gigabit WAN port (which is rare in routers atm) and has the fastest recorded N speeds of any router atm.