Wanna upgrade Memory in Late 2008 Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by snarestud940, Jan 21, 2014.

1. snarestud940 macrumors 6502

Hey Guys,

I wanna update my memory because I jus bought an iMac and it has 8GB of RAM. I can see how my Macbook is much slower (and older). Is it possible to update it to 8 GB or at least 4? What is the max?

I attached a picture...

Attached Files:

2. simsaladimbamba

3. snarestud940 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not too computer smart. What is an SSD?

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

5. allthingsapple macrumors member

An SSD is a Solid state hard drive with no moving parts that uses flash memory chips in place of the traditional magnetic disc found in standard hard drives. The benefits of an SSD include the additional speed of accessing files and running programs, booting up etc. it's also impact resistant to some degree too. It you accidentally drop or knock a traditional hard drive the internals will shatter.

The difference is definitely noticeable and it's a worth while upgrade for any mac.

6. snarestud940 thread starter macrumors 6502

How much is it? Should I still do the upgrade for RAM?

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

My link shows not just info, but has a variety of prices for replacement SSDs.
    An OWC 240 GB is less than $200
    You can also check for SSDs through other sources, if you like.
    Many folks here like the Samsung 840 EVO, or 840 Pro.
    SSDs are still expensive, but worth the cost. Makes your MacBook faster than when new. If you also add some more RAM, then you get another boost.

It's good tech™ !

8. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

Definitely upgrade the RAM to 8GB. If you can do both, it's a new lease on life. If you can only do one thing, do the RAM.

If you don't, you'll have memory swapping to an SSD which is bad for SSDs (shortens life).

I had one of those MacBooks up till a couple of months ago. RAM helps, but its CPU is really starting to show its age these days, too.

9. snarestud940 thread starter macrumors 6502

Is it easy to install? Do I have to buy an external hard drive to move everything over?

10. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

If you check the link (again…) for OWC, you can get a replacement drive with an external case, that you can use for the removed internal drive. And, the OWC site also has good videos for that upgrade, too.
    Here is that video: http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/macbook_13_unibody_hd/

OWC calls that an "easy" job. (so do I !)

11. snarestud940 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Seems easy. I looked and don't know how to find a cable to plug in both drives at the same time, but I'm gonna probably just do the ram first thing. I like the idea of the hard drive.

Do I need to do anything before installing the ram? Or will everything be ok when I just install it and take it out?

12. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You shouldn't need to find any cable for the drives, which is part of the reason to get the enclosure along with the replacement drive.
    The internal drive uses the built-in connection, and the external drive enclosure would usually be USB, and comes with the cable…

So, simple steps for replacing the drive.
    Open MacBook
    Remove old drive - install new drive in it's place (the new drive is connected internally, of course)
    install old drive in the external enclosure. Connect cable from enclosure to your MacBoook, and that's your other cable. And, then you do whatever you need to do to transfer the old drive files and system to the new drive. Takes time, but it's all pretty simple.

There's nothing else that you need to install, no settings to change when you simply change out the memory sticks.
    Another OWC video shows exactly how to open up your MacBook and change memory, but the hard drive swap, should you choose to do that, will get you inside, too - and the memory sticks will be right there, too.

13. kinderspoon macrumors newbie

I also have a late 2008 Macbook and was looking to upgrade RAM and get SSD. When I do so, would I be able to edit HD video using an external HD with a Firewire 400 connection that comes with my late 2008 Macbook? Or is it too difficult and I should just get a new computer instead?

14. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Firewire 400 is ok for freeing some USB ports and USB bandwidth, but it's more suitable for playing HD video than editing these days. FW 800 would be marginally ok, but still not too comfortable. However, you just need an external drive for persistent storage. For editing stuff you can move it to the SSD, make your modifications and finally store in the external drive. You would spend around $350 to get a 250GB SSD + 8GB I guess, so I think it's worth upgrading before buying a new Mac, unless you want working with video professionally.