Want a 2nd display for my Macbook Pro...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by primedime, Apr 4, 2012.

1. primedime macrumors member

Hello everyone.

I am looking to get a 2nd display for my macbook pro so that I have more screen space to work with when doing my projects. (web dev/design, graphic design, etc.) (no gaming)

I looked in to the Apple 27" displays but for 1k it seems a bit much. For a few hundred dollars more I can get an iMac.

I am looking to spend up to about 300$, maybe a bit more if its worth it on a display other than the Apple Displays. Anyone recommend a brand or model that is 25" - 27"?

Also, what cables will I need to buy with the display?

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

What about this 24" DELL Ultrasharp IPS monitor?

As for cables, you need an MDP to DVI adapter:

3. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I picked up an Apple ACD 27" (non thunderbolt) for $600. Works great...love it. :D

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

this has been doing just fine for me it was $200ish
    Samsung BX2450

5. primedime thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the great info. My macbook pro only has Thunderbolt, btw. I read a bunch of the reviews and a fe people had issues using with macs, something to do with going in to power saving mode all the time.

I did like the fact it rotated so you can have more vertical space, that was cool!

----------

I really like that design and the price. It also says it is Mac compatible.

seems everyone has a 24" preference. Is trying to get a 27" display overkill?? I want to be able to have a few programs open on the screen at once. Typically Coda, Web Browser and maybe Fetch at the same time. Will 24" be enough for something like that? I also use Photoshop a lot as well when working throughout the day.

6. simsaladimbamba

That is why I inserted that quote about MiniDisplayPort and Thunderbolt, to let you see for yourself, that you can use the Thunderbolt port with MDP adapters.

7. primedime thread starter macrumors member

Yes, and I appreciate you taking the time to do that.

Are you currently using this display?

8. simsaladimbamba

Sadly no, but it is the one I will keep an eye on, due to its resolution and aspect ratio (no 16:9 crap) and IPS panel and LED backlight.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find threads, where people reference the Dell I linked to:
    [​IMG]

9. Freyqq macrumors 68040

thunderbolt includes mini-displayport within its spec. Therefore, any monitor with displayport or mini-displayport will work natively.