Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Enigmafan420

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Puget Sound, U.S.A.
Just a conversation starter here-I AM AWARE of the technical limitations of Flash RAM right now...

That being said, I NEED a larger iPod Touch. I have maybe 1/5 of my CD collection on iTunes and it is already 40GB. I have a really hard time trying to figure out what to put on my 32GB iPod touch.

I have a 5th Gen 80GB iPod, but I am finding that I just like having the other features of my Touch with me. The 80GB pretty much stays hooked to the car stereo these days.

Anyone else feeling a space crunch?

Enigmafan420

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Puget Sound, U.S.A.
He did say he was aware of the limitations of flash memory.

And yes, a 128GB touch would be amazing! (and expensive)

I have been reading that the 32GB chips would be coming out 1st quarter of this year. So in theory the next version touch could have 64 GB.

Anyone know how much the 32GB chips are likely to cost?

syclick

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
I am on the cusp of buying an iPod Touch to replace my iPod Video (5G) 60GB. I am trying to hold out for a 64GB Touch, seeing as how my current collection won't even fit on my 60GB unit, but I dunno if I can hold out for much longer.

I realize I can just get a Classic 120GB, but I don't want to go back to a HDD-based player.

Enigmafan420

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Puget Sound, U.S.A.
I am on the cusp of buying an iPod Touch to replace my iPod Video (5G) 60GB. I am trying to hold out for a 64GB Touch, seeing as how my current collection won't even fit on my 60GB unit, but I dunno if I can hold out for much longer.

I realize I can just get a Classic 120GB, but I don't want to go back to a HDD-based player.

Yep-know the feeling-there is no way my entire collection would even fit on the 120 GB-and I got $400(!) worth of iTunes gift certificates for Christmas, so it is growing daily.

A 64 GB would be a huge improvement from by current 32 though.

DreamNshadow

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2007
I actually did this recently. I now have a 32gb 1st gen touch, coming from a 80gb classic, I didn't like the feeling of not fitting it all at first. But, I got the 32gb knowing that I would eventually get the 64gb touch.

My library isn't as large as yours (mine = ~40gb), but you'll soon get used to not having all your albums there, and just choosing things you listen to at the moment. The genius playlist is also really good at keeping me occupied.

The features is what got me. I use maps, notes, and safari all the time. If you're in school and don't have a computer around you, wi-fi really comes in handy. If you can, get the 2nd generation touch for the external speaker and volume control.

syclick

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
The iPod Touch 1G 32GB model was released in February last year, so I would think we'll see upgrades to the 2G units shortly. Of course, depending on production and availability of the 32GB NAND flash units.

dasikes

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Alabama
That being said, I NEED a larger iPod Touch. I have maybe 1/5 of my CD collection on iTunes and it is already 40GB. I have a really hard time trying to figure out what to put on my 32GB iPod touch.

I have a 5th Gen 80GB iPod, but I am finding that I just like having the other features of my Touch with me. The 80GB pretty much stays hooked to the car stereo these days.

Anyone else feeling a space crunch?

Honestly, if having that much music is such a priority to anyone, the iPod Touch isn't the best option.

I have ~40GB of music (all paid for, don't worry) and when I really think about it, there is no need for me or anyone to have to carry all that around. If my musical wants change, I just resync.

The Touch's features are great, but whether you get the Touch or the Classic is simply a question of priorities - features or space.

Enigmafan420

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Puget Sound, U.S.A.
Honestly, if having that much music is such a priority to anyone, the iPod Touch isn't the best option.

I have ~40GB of music (all paid for, don't worry) and when I really think about it, there is no need for me or anyone to have to carry all that around. If my musical wants change, I just resync.

The Touch's features are great, but whether you get the Touch or the Classic is simply a question of priorities - features or space.

I do have a larger classic, but I too want what the touch can do-classic is good for music only-I want the email, Wi-Fi, maps, etc of the touch-so I want a bigger one :)

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Well, Tallest Skil and others have heard me say this many times before:
I suspect a 64GB iPod touch to be released in February if not then in March.
If that does happen then I expect a 128GB iPod touch to be release in February or March of 2010.

gear71428

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2007
128GB just isn't big enough for all my media. Sure it would hold my music but what about all my video files?

Since the ipod touch has wifi maybe a better approach would be to load it with the most desirable music and video then if I want to get one of the other media files in my library, I could keep them on a network server (networked drobo or Linkstation) that I can connect to via the internet and just go and get those (less used) files as I need them. Who knows maybe Apple is working on just such a device that might work in conjunction with mobileme (check macrumours for Dec.). Or maybe Google will release G-drive and we could keep all our media files in a cloud drive, accessable at any point we are connected to the web.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that Apple would find it easier to create hand held devices that allow you to access your files via the net rather than trying to cram larger storage capacity into a small device. And since users are creating ever larger media libraries it seems like trying to keep up with that (by creating more and more devices with increasing storage) is a never ending quest.

Sehnsucht

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2008
When 32 and 64GB NAND chips exist, let us know. :eek:

Actually, they already do...the 128, 256 and 512GB iPod touch are currently in prototype stage and are being tested in Apple's top secret underground lab. Did you know that a single 512GB NAND chip costs $50,000 right now?? :eek: :eek:

:D :D :D :D :D

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
Well, Tallest Skil and others have heard me say this many times before:
I suspect a 64GB iPod touch to be released in February if not then in March.
If that does happen then I expect a 128GB iPod touch to be release in February or March of 2010.

I hope your right ! My birthday is on Feb.1 but I asked my parents to wait to get my touch because they should be updating around that time :D I am not going to jump to quickly even though I want the 32gb so bad it would be worth it to wait for a 64gb for the same price

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
128GB just isn't big enough for all my media. Sure it would hold my music but what about all my video files?

Since the ipod touch has wifi maybe a better approach would be to load it with the most desirable music and video then if I want to get one of the other media files in my library, I could keep them on a network server (networked drobo or Linkstation) that I can connect to via the internet and just go and get those (less used) files as I need them. Who knows maybe Apple is working on just such a device that might work in conjunction with mobileme (check macrumours for Dec.). Or maybe Google will release G-drive and we could keep all our media files in a cloud drive, accessable at any point we are connected to the web.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that Apple would find it easier to create hand held devices that allow you to access your files via the net rather than trying to cram larger storage capacity into a small device. And since users are creating ever larger media libraries it seems like trying to keep up with that (by creating more and more devices with increasing storage) is a never ending quest.

WOW :eek: 128gb is not enough?!!! holy crap that's alot of media! Not making fun just I thought 30gb of just music was alot

groovdudeyo

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2008
And yes, a 128GB touch would be amazing! (and expensive)

I am under the impression that apple now has the technology to make a 3000 gb touch yeah i mean three thousand. and this new "spinning electron or proton chips" (or something like that) cost the same to manufacture.

MacbookAlum1536

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
if i remember correctly there is a $3 called Simplify media in the app store which lets you stream unprotected songs

armoguy94

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
I have an 8GB iPod Touch. My library is over 30gb large and growing. Is there any way I can purchase a 64gb chip, or something 30gb or bigger, then manually install it in my Touch? It's 1st gen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.