Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
young people that are interested in technology? nope, apple has no desire to market to this group

Actually Apple has no desire to market to people who are knowledgable about technology.

If not for the other PC makers, they are probably so wishing for the day when they can remove all those ghz and GiB numbers from their tech specifications and just give models in their lineup fancy names/model numbers.

Why give consumers confusing figures that they do not understand? Do you have a PhD in computer science? How does 1Mhz on a Core 2 Duo translate to 1Mhz on a Athlon 64? A AMD Barcelona? How then is that number helpful?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Someone did the math and made the call

Another would-be iMac buyer if only you offered a higher end video card as a Configure To Order option. The existing video card which comes stock will not fit my needs.

I'm sure Apple thought of this and decided they'd make more money if the iMac was crippled. Apple's problem is they can't let iMac sales eat into their Mac Pro and ACD sales. So they did two things to ensure that professional photographers, video editors and graphic artists would not buy the iMacs

(1) Removed the anti-glare feature from the screen
(2) used only a "mid range" graphic card with no possibility to ever upgrade.

So Apple looses a few gamer customers put they sell more Mac Pros, someone did the math and made the call.

wongulous

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2002
This iMac really killed the iMac's charm for prosumers or aspiring students or geeky young people. We want an iMac with more brawn but cannot afford, do not need, or do not like (as much) the Mac Pro. I like all-in-one for cramped spaces and easy relocation, I like the price, and I like the set of features.... I just don't like the graphics as a design student and geeky prosumer. :(

I sent in my feedback (the above and more).

Muzzway

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2007
Well, I made a complaint... Though if they didn't include it at first, I doubt they'll change their mind.

holland

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2006
I was surprised Dell sells the 8600GT for a $100 option. :eek: I was expecting $150 for it.

They offer it for less then all the retail outlets!

Are you sure? I'm looking right now it is $100 to upgrade from the 8600GS to 8600GT but it is $150 to upgrade from the integrated graphics to the 8600GT is $150

SWC

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
I thought the only option previously was to up the amount of vram not change the actual card?

Also, just looked at the take apart guide from GSX and the 20 and 24 inch imac they both have a removeable video card like the previous 24" model so you can theoretically swap it out if you really were that concerned.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I thought the only option previously was to up the amount of vram not change the actual card?

Also, just looked at the take apart guide from GSX and the 20 and 24 inch imac they both have a removeable video card like the previous 24" model so you can theoretically swap it out if you really were that concerned.
Links to said guide.

SWC

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Ah thanks for information anyways.

Looking at the take apart pictures on the main page of macrumors. If you look at

http://www.kodawarisan.com/imac_2007_mid/DSC_3824.jpg

the two aluminum blocks on the left just under the blue circuit board the top one is the heat pipe/radiator for the video card

http://www.kodawarisan.com/imac_2007_mid/DSC_3847.JPG

in the top left of that pic is the video card itself you can see the heat pipe coming off of it.

edit:

http://www.kodawarisan.com/imac_2007_mid/DSC_3843.JPG

better shot of the video card top left

150hp

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2004
Door County, WI, USA
Am I the only one who realizes that the screens are glossy because they're glass?

To offer matte screens would kind of conflict with the entire 'glass and aluminum' message they're sending.

As someone coming from an art framing background, there is non-glare glass just like plastic can be. Glass doesn't have to be glossy.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Not 100% sure as I haven't seen the machine myself but sadly it looks like it may be a mini pci as the connector looks a tad wide to be mini pci express.
Slim chance it's some kinda of MXM derivation. Then again I've seen Apple use other miniPCI-Express cards for the Airport as well.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
MXM is basically mini pci express just rebranded by nvidia. The imac still uses pci express for the airport but its in another part of the case so an easy comparison isnt possible but I am leaning more towards mini pci for the simple fact of the placement of the notch on the card.

Anyone with a new imac already care to check system profiler?
I thought MXM was still a nVidia only label as well. You're probably right that it's some sort of proprietary miniPCI-Express card then.

SWC

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
I thought MXM was still a nVidia only label as well. You're probably right that it's some sort of proprietary miniPCI-Express card then.

Yeah I was mistaken there. I deleted my misinformation.

big_module2.jpg

mxm next to imac video card. Its hard to tell because I had to blow up the picture of the imac card but they look pretty identical.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Yeah I was mistaken there. I deleted my misinformation.

big_module2.jpg

mxm next to imac video card. Its hard to tell because I had to blow up the picture of the imac card but they look pretty identical.
Wow, thanks for these pictures.

The cards do look nearly identical. Which size is the nVidia one you posted?

SWC

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Well, the old gen 24" had kind of MxM slot, but no compatibility. Another problem here is the special Apple video BIOS, even if you can get another card, it will only work in bootcamp, maybe.

http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/notMXM.html
Scroll down to Apple entry.

while a replacement card may or may not work.

The card bios issue should be irrelevent anymore IF you can find an EFI compatible card. This is the main reason you are limited in upgrades as the bios on the card isn't compatible with EFI but with that coming down the pipeline We will find out eventually I guess.

iStrat

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
New York
Vendetta Online

I still think it would be nice if Apple offered a GPU upgrade in these new iMacs. However, I tested out the standard $1,499 model using Vendetta Online and it ran beautifully. Discuss here.

I'mAMac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2006
In a Mac box
Sent feedback...twice, under different names. But i think the only realistic upgrade would be a 2600XT. I would be a bit happier with that but an 8600GS as mentioned before would be great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.