Want a camcorder

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nelsencaleb, Jan 25, 2010.

1. nelsencaleb macrumors regular

Can anyone help me out here please? I don't know anything about camcorders. Whats good? Thanks in advance.:confused:

2. Beligerent macrumors regular

Beligerent

If I were you Id get a Flip Mino HD or a Flip Ultra HD and heres why:

1) They are like $200
    2) Most people use their camcorders about 2 hours a year
    3) No tapes
    4) dead simple operation and great portability

3. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

What are you looking to do with it? If it's nothing serious, then I'd go with the Flip as suggested. I recently purchased a Canon HF20 to make videos of my dogs, girlfriend, and her bunnies, along with many other things and am very happy with it with the exception of low light performance and the lack of an infrared recording mode.

4. Beligerent macrumors regular

Beligerent

yeah like sdub said... if its nothing serious the flip will do just fine. I have a Canon HV20 ($650.00) that sits in the closet collecting dust while I have my HD Flip cam in my pocket all the time. The Flip is perfect for MOST applications. If i were to go to a wedding or something I would take the Canon but for trips to the coast or things like that you will love the Flip cams. A bonus is they work beautifully with iMovie

5. XxEjGxX macrumors regular

i have a sony dcr-sx30 and for the price to usability it is just awesome, especially with macs, out of the box compatibilty and works great with imovie [​IMG]

6. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

Or if you don't want to buy into the hype of the Flip range of cameras, there are some other (imo much better) alternatives out there for similar or cheaper prices. Such as the Samsung U10: http://bit.ly/3Pa3dp

They all have subtle advantages and disadvantages, so it's worth looking around and checking your local shops for deals that may encourage you to step up (or down) a range.