Want a computer for IOS development

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dreday24, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Dreday24 macrumors regular

Hello team,

I am wondering what are the best options for me to do IOS development, I am thinking about buying a mac mini so i can do remote access for development.

Is this the best way or am i mising anything?

thanks,

DredayX

2. 960design macrumors 68000

Yes a mac mini would work perfectly. You also stated remote access. It is a little slow for development, even on my high end local network with a mac mini server ( best you could buy last year ) currently serving as a caching server, remote access is slightly delayed. Trying to type code will soon drive you crazy as you have to wait for the very slight delay between keystrokes. It is better to develop directly on the device. Any will work, MacAir for mobile, iMac 27" for BIG screen love, mac mini for your own keyboard and monitor setup.

Good luck and hope to see great things from you!

3. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

I own the Mac min, late 2012 model, basic configuration, and it works just fine with XCode. I'm quite happy with it.

4. ryanmillercg macrumors newbie

ryanmillercg

Mac mini will be fine. Consider a Macbook Air for a build machine you can carry around with you. There's a lot of value to being portable.

5. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Screen space is critical for software development. The Mini will be plenty of machine but you need to pair it with a decent monitor. A Mac laptop connected to an external display also works great if portability is needed.