Mobile OSs Want a custom ROM? Not rooted? No Problem. Cyanogenmod Installer!

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Lloydbm41, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Anyone remember Jailbreakme.com? How easy it was to jailbreak your iPhone 3G and GS on iOS3?

Well, the team from Cyanogenmod have made it very, very simple to install and use Cyanogenmod 10.2 (equivalent to Jelly Bean 4.3) onto your phone (assuming you have an HTC One, a recent Samsung Galaxy phone or a Nexus device. Sorry, but these are the only devices available at this time.)

Sooo, I took my old Samsung Galaxy SIII (which had been restored to completely factory showroom stock, with nothing on it, not even a sim installed), and I logged it on to my WiFi network and did the install. Total time from start to finish (including installing an update I got right away was 17 minutes. Most of that time was software download.)

All you have to do is go to the Play Store on your phone: Link to app: Cyanogenmod Installer App

• Download app and open it.
    • Follow directions
    • Go to Windows PC and go to http://get.cm
    • Follow directions
    • Plug phone into PC
    • Profit

It is that simple. No rooting, no coding, no nothing. Easy. Peazy. Lemon squeezy. Here is some pics I took during install.

2. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Pics of install

Attached Files:

3. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

This is a positive step in the right direction, looking forward to see if this encourages others now. :D

4. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

I was going to give this a whirl tonight on my HTC one. Will try to remember to tomorrow. :D

5. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Very nice but it's not compatible with the Note 3. Wish I still had my S4 to give it a test run.

6. Chodite macrumors 6502a

Chodite

The reviews are slaughtering it. This one scares me:

Dangerous - Meant for Sideloading Only
    CM really needs to warn people about what installing this app can do. It's one of the few (only?) apps on Google Play that absolutely will void your device's warranty. And, it's the only app on Google Play you will not be able to uninstall. Shocked Google is approving of this.

I have an S4 that I'm about to send back to AT&T's warranty dept. Was about to install this and play around.. glad I didn't.

----------

Also, no OS X or Linux support. Reports of bricked phones and more. Just use caution...

7. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

The problem with apps like this is that they need to ensure that even the dumbest person can install it. 99% of the 1 and 2 star ratings I saw were people complaining that the app isn't available for their device or they thought this would fix this previous rooting attempts.

Needless to say, this was the 2nd easiest install I have ever done. The first was my iPhone 3GS and jailbreakme.com. ;)

But, like you said, always use caution.

8. Chodite macrumors 6502a

Chodite

9. Krimsonmyst macrumors 6502

Just used it on my S4. Was quick, painless and had great results. Very happy with it :D

10. maxwelltech macrumors 6502

maxwelltech

Wow very nice to see that, although I wish it has 4.4 KitKat versions since I already have 4.3 on my HTC One. Is this also going wipe your data off? I would love to try it out.

11. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I used this on my S4 and it worked flawlessly. Very happy with it.

The only people complaining about it and giving bad reviews are people who don't understand what it does and shouldn't be using it in the first place.

12. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

This will get pulled I think. Especially if it comes with gapps.

13. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Pretty sure it downloads GApps separately just as you would on a normal CM install. The guys who run CM are pals with people at Google, I doubt there'll be any problems. Android is open source after all.

14. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

I wonder how well this works. A few of the GS4 variants have a locked bootloader and need the Loki patch. Does the CM installer realize this and auto install everything?

15. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

How do you use caution when this is supposed to automate the process?

16. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Just because something is automated, does that mean you throw caution out the window, especially when you are updating the OS? Are you not cautious when you update OSX? Or Windows? Do you not prepare your PC with backups, 'just in case'?

I wonder why Apple includes a prep guide and a Terms of Use before you go to install or update iTunes, iOS or OSX? Isn't the automated process perfect every time?

Or were you just trolling? :p

17. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I am very careful to backup my data before updating my computer's OS, but that's because I use Arch :p

18. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Jailbreakme.com Oh the days. That brings me back....:eek:

19. bushido Suspended

bushido

actually ... i dont. i just assume itll work after all their beta testing ;)

anyway. what benefits does it have on an Nexus device which comes with stock android anyway?

20. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

No I'm actually being serious :p What if you were to use this and brick your phone? What then?

I do things the manual way but I'm just wondering what you mean by being cautious when the process is automated.

----------

Lots of nice small features. Customisable quick toggles, changing brightness by sliding the status bar. Customise LED (can be done with 3rd part apps I guess). Change status bar icons for battery, signal bars etc. Lots of small things that add up to make it a much better experience IMO.

21. xchampx13 macrumors regular

Im wondering... does this backup the ROM you were on before install? Or load it as a ROM Switcher type thing? I have no issue manually backing up and flashing CM myself, ive done it multiple time, but if this did a backup of some sort that would be awesome, like if you come from Stock to this and want to go back. I haven't really researched this all to much so if anyone who has done it can answer that would be awesome.

22. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

How does something like this work with carrier models on AT&T and Verizon?