Want a larger internal HD...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xJulianx, Apr 13, 2007.

1. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

As the title says, I'm wanting more space on my MacBook. I don't really want to go for the external HD route, I'd just like to have more space within my MacBook. I currently have an 80GB HD, and am going to buy an enclosure so I can make use of it when I get a bigger internal drive.

Anyway, my question. How would I go about cloning what is on my current HD onto the new internal hard drive?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. A.Fairhead macrumors member

Just a quick thought: if you're buying an enclosure for your 80GB, you'll already be going down the external HD route, right?

With my current Mini I have an 80GB internal and a 500GB Lacie for my photography work. :)

3. xJulianx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

The reason I'm getting an enclosure is simply because I don't want to waste a perfectly good 80GB drive, I will probably just use that drive for backups as apposed to general storage.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

since you're going to be buying an enclosure for your current drive.... what i would personally do is buy the new drive, pop it in the enclosure. use SuperDuper! or CarbonCopyCloner to clone your drive to the new one. and then switch them out.

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Yep, that's how to do it. I've done it a couple times with iBooks and CarbonCopyCloner.

6. xJulianx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Okay thanks alot. Now to find a new HD! Thanks!

7. xJulianx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Could somebody please confirm that this drive will work in my MacBook.

And that this enclosure will work with the hard drive.

Many thanks.

8. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

You're limited to about 160G right now, although there have been some vendors introducing higher capacity drives within the last week or two.

If you go to 120G or above, you'll be getting a 5400 or 4200 rpm hard drive. Not a big deal unless you're using it for disk intensive jobs, like video editing.

If you want a 7200 rpm drive, 100G is the limit (for now.)

Be careful about drives new to the market, as there are some higher capacity drives out that will not fit - the drive thickness for the MB and MBP is 9.5 mm - some of the new higher capacity drives are 12 mm thick, and will not fit in the cases of either model.

MD

9. islandman macrumors 6502

I second the recommendation to use Super Duper to do it. I've done that with my MBP.

10. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

thats expensive...does newegg ship internationally?

also, do you need to get SATA only or any notebook hd

11. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

It's a bit hard to fit an ATA HD in a SATA port. :rolleyes:

Yes, you need a SATA drive.

12. joudbren macrumors regular

I picked up a portable USB Western Digital Drive. It's 160GB in size, SATA and 5400rpm. I snapped open the case, removed the WD drive and installed it in my MacBook. I was then able to re-use the case to turn the existing MacBook drive into a portable USB drive. Works perfectly!

In my area a 160GB bare drive is $180 Cdn. I picked up the WD USB drive at Costco for $139 Cdn saving 40 bucks on the drive and also then saved another $30 by not having to purchase a seperate USB case for the old drive. Hope that helps someone out! Only downside is the warranty is only 1 year on the portable WD drive but not a problem for me personally. Cheers!

James :cool:

http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=262

13. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

I was planning on doing this, but the WD 160GB drive came down in price. I bought it for $119 at Canada Computers. With a $30 case, it did come out a little bit more expensive than Costco's drive, but you don't have to mess with prying open the case, and you get the longer warranty (which would probably be voided by opening the case anyway..)

14. joudbren macrumors regular

That's a good price for the drive. I checked again locally and with NCIX in Vancouver and they are still way up there. Oh well, I'm happy with the purchase and so far everything works great. The WD drive is definitely better on the power requirements and seems to run cooler as well than the stock Toshiba drive. Cheers!

James :cool: