Want a Macbook Retina display - Which one 15" or 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Risco, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Risco, Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014

Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

I currently have a Macbook 15' 2012 in my signature. I really want a RD Macbook, but not sure whether to get a 15" or 13". I use it almost exclusively for internet, video encoding and photo viewing. Plus it serves as my iTunes media server.

I want to see more than I currently can see on screen, but without squinting. So I am leaning towards the 15". When are the new updates due? I bought my current one in August 2012, so was hoping this August would receive an update?

2. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

I don't like how heavy the 15" model is and I don't have difficulty seeing the 13" so I would go with 13" but if your want a quad core for whatever reason then the 15" seems better.

3. Risco thread starter macrumors 68000

Risco

Thanks for your reply, may I ask what resolution setting you use please?

4. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

I switch between more space and the best for retina. I use more space when I need two pages documents loaded side by side or need two windows open next to each other other, and I use best for retina when I'm casually browse or watch YouTube or play games

5. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

If you are encoding video, I would say get the 15" because of the quad core processor

6. Gpulvi macrumors member

Gpulvi

Want a Macbook Retina display - Which one 15" or 13"?

I've selled my early 2011 cMBP 13" and was asking myself the same. Finally went with a 15" base model. The quad core and the bigger screen were the reasons of my choice.

Btw, the weight of a cMBP 13 and a rMBP 15 is the same, 4,4 pounds (or 2 kilos).

I use it in retina resolution, the standard.

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

If you do video encoding all the time, a quad-core i7 is a definite must.

So 15" it is.

Having an NVIDIA GT750M GPU around may also help in encoding and rendering.

8. GoingDark macrumors 6502

It comes down to portability vs. screen real estate, and which do you value more. The 15" is much bigger, and since more than 50% of my laptop use is at home, I personally wish I had opted for the 15". The 13" is quite small for multitasking with multiple windows.

9. jg321 macrumors 6502

I have the 13 and am happy with it. I do however have a 21.5" iMac (had an external monitor before).

I suspect if it's your main machine and you have no desire/space for an external monitor, you'll be better off with the 13".

The portability is amazing though. I also have a cMBP 13" and it feels like a brick in comparison. My PC friends laugh at how I call the cMBP a brick, but of course it's all relative!