Want a MacBook, should I wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mattwatson1979, Jan 25, 2008.

  1. mattwatson1979 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2004
    #1
    Hi All,

    Its been a while since I’ve posted on here, and a while since I’ve owned a Mac (I had a G4 PowerMac many moons ago).

    I need Windows for work however that’s no reason to not buy a Mac these days thanks to boot camp :) (I know the arguments for using alternative software, but tell my boss that!)

    My question is, should I get a MacBook now (I know the Pro is due for an update) or are there any rumours of updates in the pipeline?

    Also, is there anything the Pro can offer over the MacBook that I might want to take into consideration?

    I don’t really plan to do any intense video editing or gaming, so this is why I think the MacBook would suit my needs the best.

    Matt
     
  2. gazfocus macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #2
    I would personally go for the MacBook for your needs. There are no rumoured updates for the MacBook because it was only updated in November.
     
  3. gettingmy1stmac macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2008
    Location:
    Harrison, AR
    #3
    If you look at the history of the macbook on the buying guide, you'll see that the macbook is typically updated in may and november. look for the may update this year to be a move to the penryn processors from intel. that is a huge step up from the current santa rosa chips and will be well worth the wait.
     
  4. phoxrenvatio macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2007
    #4
    also rumors say that updates to MB/MBP will have the new touchpad
     
  5. mattwatson1979 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2004
    #5
    Thanks guys,

    I think I will attempt to wait, however the urge to drop my laptop is growing (I had a blue screen with Vista the other day!).
     
  6. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

    Bubbasteve

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2004
    Location:
    Charleston, IL
    #6
    My girlfriend is interested in buying her first ever Mac and I initially suggested for her to wait but I later told her to just pull the trigger.

    There are 3 inevitable changes coming to the Macbook that you have to factor in

    1.) Multitouch trackpad (I'm not very sure about it but I think this could be merely a software update rather than hardware -- but don't quote me)

    2.) LED display (not only is it "green" but it's also brighter)

    3.) Penryn (not a huge deal -- The machine is going to be fast either way)

    and you also have to consider a possible design change


    I would personally just pull the trigger and go for it, but that's me and I'm impatient
     
  7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

    ucfgrad93

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2007
    Location:
    Colorado
    #7
    If you need it now, then get it. Who knows when Apple will update the MacBook? Could be tomorrow or it could be months from now.
     
  8. heatmiser macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2007
    #8
    Each day you spend waiting is one you could have spent enjoying a perfectly good machine. :cool:
     

Share This Page