Want a New Macbook but...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cfs, May 27, 2008.

1. cfs macrumors 6502a

Hello Forum,

I live in the US and going to Japan to visit my in-laws. My father in-law wants a Macbook so I am buying it for him along with AppleCare here in the US.

The reason I am buying for him in the US instead of him buying at an Apple store in Japan is because one can purchase a mid-spec Macbook in the US for the same price it would be for a low-end spec in Japan.

I am leaving July 6 and have been all set buy the Macbook but I just heard that there is a new Macbook coming out very soon.

Here is my question:

Is it likely that the new Macbook will have a rise in specs? If so, does the history of upgrades suggest that once an upgrade is done that the old mid-spec will become the new low-spec?

The reason why I ask, assuming price will remain status quo, if the above is true, then it makes no sense for me to buy in the US for him since there will be no more price difference.

Sorry If I Am Confusing,

CFS

2. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

An upgraded version of the MacBook will be coming out eventually. When?? Time will tell. Your guess is as good as anyones.

Cheers.
    :D:apple:

3. Mjmar macrumors 65816

I think that you should wait until June 9th (WWDC) if possible. If nothing happens there then go for it.

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Who really knows the exact date for the newer Macs, that's the question that most of us "normal" folk cannot predict. Buy what's out there now, and there shouldn't be any regrets. If you wait 'til the next release, it maybe too late to get the newest mid-level MB for a great price. :cool:

5. bennyboyt macrumors member

im from the UK and you seemed to have touched upon a thread i was going to make...

after comparing prices it would be far cheaper for me to purchase from the US than from the UK... however i was wondering if anyone had any experiences of doing that, and any problems they encountered?

I am aware that i would need a different plug AC plug adapter, but apart from that what else?

thanks

6. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

I would start a new thread. In this circumstance, your question will be answered quicker.

-cfs

7. bennyboyt macrumors member

okie doke cheers, didnt want to hijack this fellas thread... delete my posts if you like admins :)

8. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Aren't there also "import taxes via customs" due on any computer brought into the UK? :eek::confused: