Want a new pocket knife - advice?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by marty1990, Aug 25, 2012.

1. marty1990 macrumors 6502

Looking into getting a knew pocket knife, since am going camping soon and just feel like treating myself to a new one. Not sure whether to go for a bare bones pocket knife, or a multi-tool. Don't want to spend too much, about £15-£20. Would quite like to be able to carry it round with me in normal day to day use, as well. I've had Swiss Army knives in the past, both Wenger and Victorinox, as well as cheaper knives.

The only other brands I know of are Leatherman and Gerber. Leatherman's are a bit too expensive, and the Gerber knives I've seen are the Bear Grylls ones - don't know if they're any good, though I've heard good things about the compact multi-tool.

So, anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

2. puma1552 macrumors 601

Well, I literally was just signing on to go post this in the recent purchase thread, and although it's more than you said you wanted to spend, you just can't beat the utility of the Swiss Champ...I've had it an hour and already fixed three things around the house and cut down some brush outside in the alley:

[​IMG]

3. Eli727 macrumors member

I carry a Spyderco - its not a multi but its great. Been very happy with it, feel like it was a step up from the Gerber I used to carry.

4. wgnoyes macrumors 6502

If he's in the UK, I believe you can't have a lock-blade knife of any type there.

5. PurpleMarmalade macrumors regular

Indeed. The basic law in the UK is that you are only allowed to carry a folding pocket knife with a blade that measures 3 inches (7.62cm) or less. Although not stated explicitly in the 1988 Act, the courts have subsequently ruled that a lock knife is essentially the same (when extended) as a fixed blade knife, and is thus illegal to carry without reasonable cause.

One must therefore be careful, even when buying Victorinox, Gerber, Leatherman, etc, as all have lock knife variations on some models.

----------

Just standard camping? Particular terrain (New Forest, etc)? Fishing as well? These things will govern what pocket knife/multitool would be most useful to you.

As an aside, I've had the same Victorinox swiss army knife since I was 7. I've resharpened the main and small blades a few times, and washed it out, but it remains in excellent working condition. I carry it everywhere with me. Unless you like having new ones, I don't see why your current models wouldn't do just as well; they should outlast you.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Just get a utility knife with replaceable blades. It'll last you a lot longer than one with a blade you can't replace.

7. Orange Crane macrumors 6502

http://www.leatherman.com/product/skeletool_cx

Best basics of a multitool and the ease of use of a regular pocketknife. I love mine. Great blade, compact size, and you don't have to open the pliers part to get the blade open.

8. jeremy h macrumors 6502

This is a very good point - If you get a Leatherman don't stick it in your coat pocket, forget about it and go down the boozer for a swift half after a fishing trip etc. Make sure it stays in with your camping kit / Fishing gear / toolbox etc when out and about etc.

Victorinox tools I find useful - are the scissors, magnifying glass, screwdrivers and the tweezers. I'd always look for those first than consider the others bits as optional extras (even the knife!).

9. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

These are the two best knives I've ever had... well, pocket knives. I've got some high end kitchen knives but I don't think thats what you're after. :D

Kershaw Scallion - thing opens faster than a switch blade... can lock closed or open. But I guess you can't have one :(
    [​IMG]

Victorinox mini - Incredibly, incredibly handy to have on hand. Fruit, hangnails, general small-knifey-stuff.
    [​IMG]

10. Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

Sorry to ThreadJack (I didn't think it was important enough for a thread of its own) but I remember there was an eBay seller selling translucent blue pocket knives shaped like dolphins for about $5... Does anybody know where I could find one :)?

11. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Kershaw, one of the best knives on the market. I own several. Never had one fall apart because they are top quality. Well worth the extra money. Also own a Victoronix multipurpose and is a great camping tool to have. Come with a great belt pouch and very solid built.

12. jwingfie macrumors 6502a

jwingfie

I have carried my share of knives but now I only buy and carry Spyderco. Unfortunately you get what you pay for, so you won't get much of anything from Spyderco under $60.

Edit: Just saw you are in the UK. If you want a slip-it, you can get a Spyderco UKPK or Squeak for around $45

13. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

I second this vote! I love mine and that carbon just has a lovely uniqueness about it.

14. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

15. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Seriously?? :eek: That's too bad - I won't use a folding knife with a non-locking blade, simply because a locking blade is much safer to use.

OP, as for your question - I've never been a fan of multitools, myself. Almost every time I reach in my pocket for my knife, it's because I want a knife - not pliers, or a screwdriver, or whatever. And having all those extra tools on the apparatus makes it cluttered, IMO. I would look into investing in a well-made single blade knife, although without a locking blade I'm not sure what to point you toward.

16. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Definitely a Spyderco. I LOVE mine. Bought it about 20 years ago.

[​IMG]
    Sypderco by ctt1wbw, on Flickr

17. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

LMAO ... hilarious.

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

At the moment, I have a Victorinox (used it this evening, much needed and extraordinarily useful - and have had such a blade in one form or another since the mid 1990s when I was required to have them because I was in BiH after the war).

Over the years, I have had a number stolen, and have occasionally given them as gifts (much appreciated) to local staff, but while I have had several, I usually choose the "Explorer" model, as a nice mix of useful functions which I needed and wanted (not always the same thing). This used to be around €30, but has increased in price over the past decade and a half.

Friends and colleagues swear by Leatherman, and I was given a Wenger as a gift by a former colleague a few years ago (a lethal thing), but, for now, I'm perfectly happy with a Victorinox.

19. midwestfisherma macrumors 6502

midwestfisherma

My Case knife. Holds a great edge.

Crappy picture but you get the idea.

[​IMG]

20. wgnoyes macrumors 6502

Well, this spyderco (called the T-Mag) we suspect was created for the UK market and anywhere else that won't let you have a lock blade. It's held open with a magnet, and the idea is to grip it with your index finger in the first grove (made up of the back part of the blade and first part of the case), the idea being that it won't close back on your fingers. Yeah.... Okay..... Sure..... I've never carried it.
    magnetic spyderco.jpg

21. puma1552 macrumors 601

I bought this exact model the other day to pair with my Swiss Champ, and to carry daily on my keychain. I got the black as well.

It was $15, and has already come in handy numerous times.

OP, they do make a Mini Champ which is a mini version of the Swiss Champ; it's the same size as the knife pictured (only 2.3" long, it's tiny) but it is about a half inch thick since it's packed with lots of other features (16 tools to the 7 of the pictured Classic SD). I almost bought it, and at $30 it's a great price.