Want a Password Manager

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wakerider017, Sep 4, 2008.

1. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Can anyone recommend a good password manager?

I am looking for a really good application! (It can be free or cost money as long as it is a good app).

2. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

1Password

KeyPassX

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. iGary Guest

iGary

I use Wallet and like it a lot.

I can export the database back and forth between my desktops and keep them current.

5. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

1Password

I have about 400 passwords stored. I also have multiple passwords for one site. I think 1Password is well worth the money. It integrates well into Safari, Firefox, Flock, and I think Camino.

6. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

1Password is more convenient solution. It's great app.

7. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I guess it is built into the system, free, allows you notes and categories, can take care of stuff for disk images, servers, etc. That must not be good :D

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How is it more convenient? Keychain is built in to Mac OS X and automatically works. No muss, no fuss. I'm curious to know what any other program can do that makes it more convenient than that, especially since they all begin with installing yet another program that's not made by Apple. What to they do that Keychain doesn't?

For example, does 1Password remember passwords for things other than a web browser, like Keychain?

Exactly! I must really be missing something here. Surely they do some great things that Keychain doesn't!?

9. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Can you have several different passwords for one web site? And does it also generate passwords for you?

10. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I haven't tried the first one, but I recall having two entries for AT&T after they bought SBC ... errr ... the other way around.

And yest, it generates wonderful passwords.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Why would I want more than one password for a web site? And I prefer to create my own passwords, so they're easier to remember (in case I want to go to sites when I'm not at my own computer).

12. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I have 6 gmail accounts. And several checking accounts with one bank. It's a necessity for me.

hmmm, thanks!
    I'll have to play with it. Wonder if I could import my 1Password stuff?:confused:

13. Jonathan_W macrumors member

1Password synchronises with the iPhone/iPod touch unlike Keychain Access :p

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Thanks! I can understand that. I have multiple Gmail accounts, but I access them all with the Mail application. I can see if you use the web interface how having multiple login/passwords would be handy.
    I don't see a straightforward method of doing that, but I'll see what I can find.
    That's good to know, even though I have neither.

15. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

It is a matter of personal choice. From my point of view, is more convenient because it allows me to use multiple passwords on one site. I can't live without this option.

16. iMacBook macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

1password, hands down. Been using it for a long time. So easy to keep all my passwords there.

17. Cobol to Java macrumors newbie

Cobol to Java

Hmmm

Keychain is good. But since I really move around a lot and I often use different computers, I've decided to store all my passwords in my Yahoo Email box. But I encrypt them a couple of times first before I do.

18. Mac In School macrumors 65816

1password FTW. It's not even close, in my book.

All the same saved logins on Safari, Firefox, Camino and others.

Saved "wallets" (credit card info), again available on all browsers.

Multiple "identities" (home and work, for example) for filling out personal info forms. All browsers.

Secure notes. My personal favorite.

Save any form you want to save. Doesn't even have to be a login, wallet or identity.

Syncs between multiple macs via MobileMe. Syncs to iPhone.

My favorite app, at any price.