Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Can anyone recommend a good password manager?

I am looking for a really good application! (It can be free or cost money as long as it is a good app).

redwarrior

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2008
in the Dawg house
1Password

I have about 400 passwords stored. I also have multiple passwords for one site. I think 1Password is well worth the money. It integrates well into Safari, Firefox, Flock, and I think Camino.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
1Password is more convenient solution. It's great app.
How is it more convenient? Keychain is built in to Mac OS X and automatically works. No muss, no fuss. I'm curious to know what any other program can do that makes it more convenient than that, especially since they all begin with installing yet another program that's not made by Apple. What to they do that Keychain doesn't?

For example, does 1Password remember passwords for things other than a web browser, like Keychain?

I guess it is built into the system, free, allows you notes and categories, can take care of stuff for disk images, servers, etc. That must not be good :D
Exactly! I must really be missing something here. Surely they do some great things that Keychain doesn't!?

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Can you have several different passwords for one web site? And does it also generate passwords for you?

I haven't tried the first one, but I recall having two entries for AT&T after they bought SBC ... errr ... the other way around.

And yest, it generates wonderful passwords.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Can you have several different passwords for one web site? And does it also generate passwords for you?
Why would I want more than one password for a web site? And I prefer to create my own passwords, so they're easier to remember (in case I want to go to sites when I'm not at my own computer).

redwarrior

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2008
in the Dawg house
Why would I want more than one password for a web site? And I prefer to create my own passwords, so they're easier to remember (in case I want to go to sites when I'm not at my own computer).
I have 6 gmail accounts. And several checking accounts with one bank. It's a necessity for me.

I haven't tried the first one, but I recall having two entries for AT&T after they bought SBC ... errr ... the other way around.

And yest, it generates wonderful passwords.
hmmm, thanks!
I'll have to play with it. Wonder if I could import my 1Password stuff?:confused:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have 6 gmail accounts. And several checking accounts with one bank. It's a necessity for me.
Thanks! I can understand that. I have multiple Gmail accounts, but I access them all with the Mail application. I can see if you use the web interface how having multiple login/passwords would be handy.
Wonder if I could import my 1Password stuff?
I don't see a straightforward method of doing that, but I'll see what I can find.
1Password synchronises with the iPhone/iPod touch unlike Keychain Access :p
That's good to know, even though I have neither.

SpookyLars

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
Poland
How is it more convenient? Keychain is built in to Mac OS X and automatically works. No muss, no fuss. I'm curious to know what any other program can do that makes it more convenient than that, especially since they all begin with installing yet another program that's not made by Apple. What to they do that Keychain doesn't?

It is a matter of personal choice. From my point of view, is more convenient because it allows me to use multiple passwords on one site. I can't live without this option.

Cobol to Java

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2008
Vienna, VA
Hmmm

Keychain is good. But since I really move around a lot and I often use different computers, I've decided to store all my passwords in my Yahoo Email box. But I encrypt them a couple of times first before I do.

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
1password FTW. It's not even close, in my book.

All the same saved logins on Safari, Firefox, Camino and others.

Saved "wallets" (credit card info), again available on all browsers.

Multiple "identities" (home and work, for example) for filling out personal info forms. All browsers.

Secure notes. My personal favorite.

Save any form you want to save. Doesn't even have to be a login, wallet or identity.

Syncs between multiple macs via MobileMe. Syncs to iPhone.

My favorite app, at any price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.