Want a photo for my website, how much should it cost

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by thedon1, Sep 7, 2013.

1. thedon1, Sep 7, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013

thedon1 macrumors 6502

Hi guys, i'm new to the photography world and had a question.

I'm looking to create a website and want an image for my homepage which basically has a few things on a desk, one of them being an iPhone with my upcoming app.

I don't have the photography equipment or knowledge to create a good looking shot but have seen some nice ones on 500px.

If i requested this shot from a photographer, how much should I be looking to pay? I literally have no idea what the market rate is so any guidance would be great.

Thanks

Basically, I want this type of shot with my choice of picture on the phone. The phone can be laying down. I really like the backdrop of the mac keyboard and mouse.
    [​IMG]

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Not a pro, but you could get a student photographer who would do this for a few bucks or a professional studio who would want $1000's.
    It really depends on what you want to pay. Someone with a professional lighting rig would be able to do a better job, but your requirement doesn't sound that difficult.

3. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

If you simply needed a product isolated on a white background, you could get that done for very little ($50 or less), but what you are describing is more 'commercial' photography than product photography. Since you need the desk as well, the sophistication, props, and equipment requirements go way up. For something that looks very polished and professional, you should probably be thinking of a middle-of-the-road price falling somewhere around $500. You can probably get it done for half of that, but unless you get lucky, the results may not be terribly impressive.

The set (desk, background, etc), lighting (strobes, softboxes, etc.), and processing (dust removal, etc.) will be the key challenges for the photographer, so make sure that whoever you hire has the equipment and experience to do it right.

4. thedon1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Student photographer sounds like a good shout.

I don't really ned something super specific and wouldn't mind the photographer messing around with things to take into account their views and constraints.

Now the question is how do I go about finding someone?

5. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

If you want to go with a student photographer, you could try sending an email to the department office of a local college with a photography department. If they won't pass it on for you, then you could try placing an ad somewhere like Craigslist. Alternatively, you could always try posting a flyer somewhere near the photography studios of a nearby college.

6. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

This really doesn't look to difficult for somebody with an SLR and some studio light.

----------

Try your local camera shop on a weekend. Many students work in camera shops to earn some money (or just get discount of their next piece of kit!)

7. Cheese&Apple macrumors 68000

Cheese&Apple

If you're not too picky, a shot like this isn't so bad. There could be a couple improvements but its' not terrible.

...Peter

8. Virginaustralia macrumors regular

9. thedon1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the insight, definitely gives some info on the range of possibilities available.

10. Laird Knox macrumors 68000

Keep in mind that students typically aren't allowed to use the school equipment for a paid assignment.

11. anonnymouse macrumors regular

Maybe you could find some existing images licensed under applicable provisions of Creative Commons? (applicable to your commercial use requirement).

If you don't find a photographer you can afford, try searching the Commons on Flickr. Get permission from the photographer for anything you want to use, and follow the provisions of the CC license granted with the image.

Of course, providing work to a student photographer needing the experience would be my preference if I was in your situation.

12. snberk103 macrumors 603

They are around here. In fact, the school encourages it.

13. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

I do my own product photography. As Phrasikleia explains, theres a big difference in production cost/time between a controlled setting shot like this:

[​IMG]

And a context shots like these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are two ways to go about it. The good news is that you can save $ either way. If you hire locally, you could also build the setup yourself and have it ready when they arrive. They just need a good camera, lighting, and some skill. And since the subject is easily shipped, you could also shop nationally, by placing an ad somewhere like this:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=106

14. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

You could probably buy a decent used dslr and two light studio setup for less that the day fee to bring a good pro out to your home for the shoot. Then you would be set for the future.

Just don't even think about Craig's List...

Dale

15. rossmadden macrumors member

I've used this to show mobile sites on iPhones. you just drag the image (screen shot) onto the webpage and it puts it on the phone/tablet.

Not quite sure if this fulfils your needs but take a look, it works well.

http://placeit.breezi.com

16. thedon1 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's awesome, the results are so much better than I would have thought. Thanks for posting that link, very useful!