want a stainless steel, simple watch--rec's?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by swingerofbirch, Dec 14, 2007.

1. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Hi,

I'm looking to buy myself a watch. I don't know anything about the world of watches, but I know what I like and don't like. I like simple designs, almost to the point of being austere. I would like something made from stainless steel, that doesn't look gadgety or sporty or ostentatious.

This is close to something I'd like but it only comes in women's sizes:

http://www.swissarmy.com/Timepieces/Pages/Product.aspx?category=vivante&product=241055&

That gives you an idea of the style I like. Even on that watch the numbers look too stylized. But I like the strap a lot and the dial for the most part.

The Swiss Army web-site and fossil.com and swatch.com are the only ones I've looked at.

Anyone know of other manufacturers who make something like what I'm looking for?

Thanks.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

How about Storm Molineux or Houston

They have some really cool watches on there if you are willing to branch out.

3. shecky Guest

shecky

you should look at swatch.com - they have some great stainless steel watches.

4. lil'homunculus macrumors regular

lil'homunculus

5. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

If you want something that is going to last, spend a few dollars more and go for a Breitling. I've had one for 7 years and still looks as good as the day I bought it, and is worth more now than I paid for it :)

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

a few dollars - the cheapest breitling i have seen is about 15x the price of the watches I posted.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

look at citizen. Based on your price range you can easily be able to afford one. They have the flashy shinny ones and then the ones like you like. I have 2 Citizen watches. One is titanium and the other is stainless steel. There is a huge difference in the weight. I wear the titanium everyday because it looks plainer and it is a lot lighter. I would recommend looking at the titanium watches.

My titanium watch looks like this exacted it also tells me the day of the week
    [​IMG]

edit here is a link to my Citizen eco-drive watch. I highly recommend it

http://www.citizenwatch.com/COA/Eng...y=COA&Language=English&ModelNumber=BM8120-56E

8. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

When I was looking for a watch, I had a lot of the same criteria you had. I did not want something bulky and obnoxious. I wanted a slim thin watch that looked great. After going to quite a number of different jewelers, I had found it.

It's a Citizen Eco-Drive.

http://www.citizenwatch.com/COA/Eng...y=COA&Language=English&ModelNumber=AR0010-53E

I absolutely love it. I will never have to change the battery, it is extremely thin, and sometimes doesn't even feel like I'm wearing a watch.

Highly recommended.

They have that same model with other colors, but the one I linked is the one I have. If you're looking for a similar color as the Swiss one you linked, check this one out:

http://www.citizenwatch.com/COA/Eng...y=COA&Language=English&ModelNumber=AR1050-53A

EDIT: Both of these are stainless steel.

9. GoodWatch macrumors 6502a

GoodWatch

10. swingerofbirch thread starter macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Thanks for all the advice everybody.

The Citizen Stiletto really looks like my style, and I'm going to check it out in person. Thanks for that tip!

11. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

True, but you get what you pay for. Have to admit, a battery change for my Breitling costs most than some of the watches you posted. However, I know that my Breitling will last a life time.

12. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Have a look at Skagen watches. They're stainless steel but very low profile and start at about $100

[​IMG]

13. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I know that 15 watches will last me a life time and it means I can change styles when I want and still come out ahead.

14. GoodWatch macrumors 6502a

GoodWatch

To each his own I guess but I don't think owning watches is some sort of competition. One watch can bring as must of a joy as 15 and vice-versa. I will stop now but my nick is what it is for a reason ;)

15. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

you will have to tell us if you got it and what watch you went with.