Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingcrowing

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2004
Burlington, VT
i've decided i'm going to buy a new used laptop, mostly what i'm going to use it for is DVDs, internet, chatting, and some light office work (i've got office X), i have my own legit copy of panther, so the OS/software isn't too important. the things that are important are that it's quiet and runs cool, the dell laptop i use now can get pretty hot, because i use it on my lap a lot, so i'm looking at a dual USB iBook for $400-$500, a pismo for a similar price, and i've found a 500MHz G4 powerbook for $550, what of these three would be the coolest and quietest and still be ale to chat and run movies well? thanks a lot

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
I'd vote for the Pismo. It can be upgraded to a larger hard drive and a G4 processor when you have the money, and also a large amount of RAM.

Basically, buy the Pismo and then upgrade the hard drive. The hard drive is pretty important... you don't want to run OS X off of a 6 GB hard drive. Then after you save up enough for a G4 upgrade card, you can have a ~500 MHz G4. Plus you can get dual-batteries and last for 8 hours on the road. Neat, eh?

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Of the three, I'd vote for the Powerbook. The Pismo may keep collector value for a while, but it is an older machine, and it's pretty much a fact of life that CPU upgrades are cost-ineffective (if you plan to upgrade it, you'll save money and get a better machine by buying an iBook G4 from the get-go). The G3 iBooks are depreciating more quickly these days than the Powerbook.

kingcrowing

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2004
Burlington, VT
well, i know the values and features of both, G4s are nice, dual batteries are too, but what i'd like to know is this, they cost the same amount of money so its not an issue, but what runs cooler? i've heard that the pismo usues "old" cooling technology and operates similar to a desktop, using more ari movement, but dont know if that means it runs cooler or not, thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.