Want a used MacPro - What to look for in specs?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by 22Hertz, Jul 18, 2009.

1. 22Hertz macrumors regular

I would like to pick up a used Mac Pro but have not kept up with the spec changes.

I don't need much processing power but would like an updated video card (or option of) and fast bus for SSDs

What were the major changes in the models?
    What should I look for?
    Anything else to know?

Would prefer to spend no more than $2k

2. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

With all those wishes you are probably restricted to a 2,0 GHz 2006 model. I woud buy the cheapest and upgrade it with used Xeons off EBAY. 3,0 GHz Dual Cores or Quad Cores would be the choice. You can add a patched PC HD4870 and an SSD and stay inside that budget. It all depends of a good deal on the 2006 MP and the Xeons.

3. 22Hertz thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I should add $2000 [max] for the Mac Pro only

I would prefer to spend more towards the $1500 area if possible but I understand you get what you pay for, and Im one to cry one but enjoy it for a while so if its worth it Ill pay a little more

4. 22Hertz thread starter macrumors regular

I should add one more thing.

Im an electrical engineering student and I work as one as well.
    This machine should be capable of running strong, but I would thing the single socket Pro might probably run ok...I dont know that though.

5. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

If you're willing to go up to $2k, you might be able to find a Harpertown Mac Pro 8 core 2.8. I'd suggest that if you could swing it.

6. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

7. 22Hertz thread starter macrumors regular

That is exactly the information I needed.

Many thanks
    Everyone enjoy your day:)

8. OZMP macrumors 6502

2008 model is best used value in my opinion. faster RAM, faster FSB, EFI 2.0, a second 16x PCIe slot etc

9. akm3 macrumors 68020

How fast is the FSB in the Nehalem model? :confused:

10. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

I believe it's faster than the ram being sold for it. Which is 1066 mhz, I think? Somebody want to chime in on this? Only, there is no FSB on the Nehalem model. That's what makes it such an upgrade over past intel chipsets. The FSB is traded for an on-chip memory controller, the QuickPath Interconnect, which runs quite fast. Faster, I think, than the fastest RAM certified for use in the mac pro. I wouldn't worry about it, were I you.

11. OZMP macrumors 6502

Nehalem did away with the FSB

2006/2007 is 1333mhz, 2008 is 1666mhz

12. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

With that budget and the wish for powerful hardware, you should rather invest into a new Psystar (when you're in the US) or a new PearC (when you are in Europe).

13. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

What? Nooo. Psystar's at risk of going under. It's an incomplete user experience, and I don't know about PearC, but what Psystar did to the OSX86 project is just wrong - jacked their work, used it for profit and didn't credit them. Don't support that. If you wanted to go that route, build your own hackintosh or use that EFI bootloader, but don't buy from Psystar.

14. 22Hertz thread starter macrumors regular

What Im trying to do is get a machine to hold me over until the 32nm processor machines show up and go through one revision.

I then plan to buy a new 16 core machine using 32nm technology with some SSDs in RAID and bluray backup/storage ability:D

I am typing this on what I consider the best hackintosh out there using the BadAxe2 MB. I can update it via AppleUpdate and run everything else a real mac can (I have a MBP)

Yes, the Mac Pro IS expensive, BUT it is also a well designed machine both in harware and software, sold as a total harmonious package that has "horsepower" overhead to run without stressing it, and enough room to cool fast hardware... an important aspect for electronic longevity (cooling). It is unfortunately the only Apple computer with fast hardware, I have grown accustomed to my hackintosh (runs fast and smooth)...for me its worth $2000 to own a real one.

I suppose my question should have been I would like to get the best Mac Pro $1500-$2000 (USA) can buy, making sure that machine would be a good platform for three years min. use that can run engineering software and SnowLeopard.

15. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I'd just suggest keeping your eye on ebay for a used model for a month or so, to get a feel for what systems are going for. Unfortunately, I'd say a "good" mac pro with a $2000 ceiling and a decent vid card is a tall order, since resale value on them is so high. I think you'd be much better off getting a 2006/2007 system with high end specs rather than a 2008 system with more meager specs. that's just me. With a little money and a little more time, i've been able to keep my 2006 model running faaaaaaaaast. I plan on using it for at least another 3 years. And, while I can't predict how things are gonna go, I don't see this being an unrealistic expectation.

So, in short, I don't think the price premium you'd have to pay to opt for a 2008 model instead of a 2006 model is worth it. People can disagree, but I feel that the real-world system speed between those models is negligible. So, with a $2000 budget, the 2006 system is the one for you.

16. 22Hertz thread starter macrumors regular

Is there a website or other that has a list of different model MPs with expected, or average price expected to pay?

The more I look at it the more a model not older than a year looks like the better deal. Especially when you take into account depreciation, power consumption and bus speed.

17. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

If you've got Numbers, I've got a spreadsheet that would answer this pretty well.

If you don't have Numbers, I can take some screenshots if you like.

18. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Post it either way. Seems like the kind of resource a lot of people would be interested in. Why not a screenshot and the file?

19. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

There are two categories and two subcategories.

The categories are Desktop and Laptop. Subcategories are PPC and Intel.

This is all based on averages, so I wouldn't swear by it for the newer machines. Some of the older machines may have odd data.

The value is from Mac2Sell.net. Each is the cheapest configuration available except the C2D mini, which is the GMA 950, 2 GHz, 2 GB RAM. Each model is the first generation in the series, i.e. the Mac Pro is the cheapest 2006 model.

If you suggest it, I'd be more than happy to add the data for a new model. I wouldn't even mind adding new columns if necessary.

Attached Files:

20. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

It'll be very hard to find a 2008 model for $2000. if you are patient you may be able to find a quad core model for that price.

21. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

22. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

23. OZMP macrumors 6502

because my macpro blows it away and mine is the lowly '06 model :p

iMac seems to be short a couple of cores and lacking 333mhz in the FSB department.... a 2008 MP would be even more infront!!!!