Want amazing sound from my Mac Pro!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by paulg1979, Mar 11, 2009.

1. paulg1979 macrumors member

Hi all,

Recently purchased some Creative T40 speakers and think they sound pretty amazing for the size.

I was thinking if they sound that good how much better can I get it?

There must be some monitor speakers out there that are very detailed and bassy. I do not want separate DAC's or amps just want two speakers either side of my computer that make music enjoyable to listen too.

Any ideas what speakers are worth trying? Want to spend around £400. ($600)

2. CTechKid macrumors regular

Audioengine 5

http://www.audioengineusa.com/a5_home.php

3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

The T40 is indeed pretty decent. Good choice on your first purchase.

Depends on how bassy you want it. Most floorstanding speakers and even monitors throw out a reasonable dollop of bass to someone close, but I suppose the amount differs depending on your expectations.

Most people who are into bass find 2.1 systems more to their taste. Razer - the gaming company, but don't let that put you off - has a well-reviewed entry into that market in the form of the Mako.

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-audio/razer-mako/
    About £250.

4. paulg1979 thread starter macrumors member

I do prefer the 2.0 systems as sometimes I find too much bass tiresome after a while. I'm really after some tight fast bass with lots of detail but at the moment I think the T40s will be hard to beat

5. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Cue 'Bose Sucks' posts - which, incidentally, is especially funny coming from a bunch of Apple users.

The Companions are decent, but the Razers will be better for about the same money.

6. brentsg macrumors 68030

Apple produces a high quality product and OS for a high price.

Bose produces a mediocre at best product for a high price. I fail to see the comparison.

7. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I guess you fail to see the parallels in end-user targeting, producing a 'does the job' product with a "halo effect" of presentation, marketing and apparent quality. Intriguing how you can see it in one due to negative peers, yet can't see it in the other due to positive peers.

The Bose Triport On-Ear for example is one of the most slickly put together, best-presented portable headphones I've seen at the price with the best apparent build quality. The sound however is only for people who haven't heard other - uglier, less sleekly built - phones in the same price category, or just have tin ears. Also despite the premium materials employed, the Bose can't take the everyday beating that many other phones can. Others may have a better name in truly pro circles, but among the majority of the populace the Bose name has the impression of premium quality. The marketing, product positioning, focus on consumer support and presentation very successfully reinforces that fact.

Ring any bells?

In fact, I can't really think of a better analogy for the comparison between e.g. the Dell Precision and a Mac Pro than the comparison between a Sennheiser HD25-1 and the Bose On-Ear. One looks kind of clunky, is apparently put together rather roughly, is just a bit more expensive, is fully rebuildable without much effort and is pretty well supported for professional users - as well as sounding great and being able to take a through beating. The other looks great, is apparently put together really well, is not very serviceable but is very well supported for consumers at their stores - but sounds pretty mediocre, and can't take any punishment. And that Sesshi has both, has a use for both, but prefers the former because it's actually better if you know what you're talking about ;)

8. cube macrumors G4

OK, at the risk of sounding blasphemous, why does my system sound so poor if I switch off iWOW after listening with it?

9. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Pretty simple - SRS is psychoacoustic enhancement. What it effectively does is to temporarily alter what your definition of good sound ought to be.

10. cube macrumors G4

11. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Yes - for the majority of consumers. Which is why SRS labs stays in business.

12. fsckminix6 macrumors regular

anything from av123.com if you have a receiver... or buy a nice set of cans senns audiotechnica beyer grado etc ect