Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRabbit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Long Island, NY
I currently own a Macbook 1.25Ghz with 1 gig ram. LOVE the machine. It's become the laptop that everyone in the house fights over, so I'd like to buy myself a new one.

I'm considering the Air (1.8 w/standard HD, not SS)... I love the size and form. I think it would be powerful enough (based on what I'm using now). I MOSTLY do web, email, messaging, iLife and docs with it. Occasionally I connect remotely to my home desktop. Occasionally I use photoshop. Occasionally I do HTML/CSS. Occasionally I visit youtube or run quicktime (to test videos I've edited). It would not be a work-horse machine... I have a Mac Pro both at home and work for the heavy tasks.

I'm still open to getting a MacBook or MBPro... I personally find the MacBook a pretty compact machine, thought the size of the MBPro might bug me. I'd stick with the MacBook except for the fact the 1) even at times the size prevents me from taking it with me when I otherwise might have and 2) I love having a new toy (LOL).

Last but not least, how concerned should I be about this "core shutdown" issue? Obviously, coming here and I've read a lot about it... but I'm not sure how clear a picture that is on the widespread nature of the problem. Does EVERY Air have this issue? Is there any official word that Apple is addressing it?

For Air owners out there, would you buy it again? What do you think? Should I make the leap?

Oh... and does anyone know... can you walk into an Apple store and get the 1.8 with standard HD... or can you only buy that one on the website through customizing?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
1.8 with a HDD is a custom config, so you'll have to go online for that.

My personal issues with the Air were that I thought I could get used to an 80GB internal drive (which I couldn't -- didn't like having to think about if I had enough room for content), and I didn't like that hooking it to an external 22" monitor caused the Air's fan to run at a high speed.

The minute the Air has a bigger HD and can drive a monitor without spinning the fans faster than norm, I'm rebuying it. :)

iRabbit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Long Island, NY
Darn - About going in to a store and buying the 1.8.

As for HD space... well, my current MacBook only has a 60 gig HD, so that tells you how much an issue it would really be for me ;) - I also have Time Capsule already, and all my Macs at home networked, so HD space is the least of my concerns really.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I did most of the stuff on the list of things you'd use yours for, and the Air performed well. Never had any core shutdowns on mine.

nintendude

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2008
NY
i would just get the base model air since the 1.8 is a CTO option meaning that it can't be returned and you would have to send it in to Apple to get it fixed. Also you would have to wait for it to arrive which doesn't really sound that bad but i refreshed the status page about 2-3 times per minute.

also you should get apple care because the air is still a rev a product

jester007uk

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2008
I have an 1.6 air non ss and a 2.16 macbook pro and i have to say the speed difference between them is non apparent, the air is the best machine around if what you want is a truly portable device that is capable. The only thing that is a bit of a pain is the single usb port but u get used to it. Battery life excellent and i have had no issues with it at all, i have actually had two as the first my boss had as he loved it when he saw it... (my company use dell laptops and he swopped from a d430 to an air and raves about it) If you want portability then i can not recomend it enough.
---------------------------
:apple:mac book pro :apple:mac book air :apple:ipod touch 16G :apple:imac 24" :apple: imac 20"

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
i would just get the base model air since the 1.8 is a CTO option meaning that it can't be returned and you would have to send it in to Apple to get it fixed.
You're right that you can't return a CTO, but the Genius Bar can fix them, so you don't have to mail them back for repair if you don't want to. However, if the Genius Bar decides you need a whole new machine, they'll have to order you a new CTO instead of just giving you a new stock model from the back (like they do with stock builds).

scottkifnw

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2008
Trophy Club, TX
No Problems with mine

I have a 1.8, non ssd MBA. First one I got, the HD died and they replaced it no problem. This one has been fine. For what you say you do, there will be plenty of zip. You won't think twice about taking it, as it is light, and skinny. I just went on a trip this weekend, and it fit nicely on the airline seat back table- unlike larger laptops. One thing, the lid doesn't open much past ~120 degrees, which is a bit (to my surprise) annoying while working in bed, but fine on the plane.

I agree, get the apple care for this.

Enjoy.

sek

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
It's become the laptop that everyone in the house fights over, so I'd like to buy myself a new one.

I can see a flaw in this plan. If you buy an Air then what's to say everyone won't be fighting over it instead? ;)

Benoit

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2008
I used to have a few macBooks before (Mainly Pro's) and PowerBooks (G3, G4 12"...). When I decided to switch to the MBA I knew I would need to cut in almost three the files I have on the disk and "suffer" a reduction of processor speed.

But I did and I'm perfectly happy with my MBA 1.8 64 SSD. The fan tends to run at relatively high speed when connected to my 20" cinema screen, but it is not s bad as my first MBP (15") where there seemed to be some bits in the way of the fan.

The MBA is a notebook to be loved and cherished. Go for it without afterthoughts. Sure will the family want to steal it from you but despite those harsh fights to come, owning a MBA is pure pleasure. You have to marry it to a great Waterfied (sfbag) bag and go for some new accessories, but trust me, you won't regret it !

Benoit

iRabbit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Long Island, NY
I can see a flaw in this plan. If you buy an Air then what's to say everyone won't be fighting over it instead? ;)

They KNOW better than to touch one of Mom's new toys! Muhahahahaha! :eek:

LOL

I did end up buying it! :D :D :D

I went down to my local Apple store tonight and bought the 1.6... and so far am loving it (here I am posting from it already)... It's going to be an absolute pleasure to take back and forth to work with me, and I'll actually TAKE it more often now.

I was surprised that it didn't come preloaded with iWork (trial) and OmniOutliner... but both are easier enough to get. Not a complaint, just something I didn't expect.

I love the self-illuminating keyboard. One thing I found myself doing often was searching for keys in the dark with the MacBook... that won't happen now!

I'm off to install Photoshop... my last big install for the night. I'll be the envy the office tomorrow and will definitely enjoy it!

Thanks all!

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I currently own a Macbook 1.25Ghz with 1 gig ram.

Does a Macbook 1.25GHz even exist?

Oh... and does anyone know... can you walk into an Apple store and get the 1.8 with standard HD... or can you only buy that one on the website through customizing?

You have go through the website; you know those 2 configurations you see as base configurations on the Apple website? Well they only stock those 2 at the store.

They KNOW better than to touch one of Mom's new toys! Muhahahahaha! :eek:

LOL

I did end up buying it! :D :D :D

And congratulations on the purchase. Good to know you love it.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
few people can notice the difference between 1.6 and 1.8...my 1.6 is plenty fast for the things you've described.
good call getting the 1.6!

Braulioe

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2006
I have had my MBA for a week now. I purchased it to use when I travel. My MBP is still my work horse, primary computer.

My Airbook came with iWork '08 installed. I just had to input the purchase code to activate it. When I first got the Airbook home I was mildly disappointed, but those reservations have disappeared the more I use it. I did remove unnecessary print drivers, languages and applications and picked up an additional 9 Gb of hard drive space. Enjoy your purchase!

jonswan

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2007
The MBA is a brilliant machine - my 1.6 doesn't have any problems, though I choose not to push it. Carrying it is a joy rather than spine bending.

To the OP, whatever you had, it was certainly not a Macbook 1.25 Ghz. Macbooks started at 1.83 Ghz back in 2006. Perhaps you mean an iBook?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.