Want an iPhone Mini, not a larger 6.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Basilfawltyone, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Basilfawltyone macrumors regular

Most likely I am the only one who thinks the iPhone 5s is too large and would rather see an iPhone MINI than a larger iPhone 6.

2. joshkhaos1 macrumors 6502

Hmm...yes, I'd say you're in the minority there. 4 inches is pretty small by today's standards.

3. 1Zach1 macrumors 65816

1Zach1

What exactly would the specs of this mini be?

4. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

I don't think the 5S is too large. It'll be my next iPhone most likely. But anything bigger looks unpractical if you ask me. Not to mention unnecessary if you, like me, use a phone predominantly as a communications device, browsing mobile news sites, tv guide, notes, banking etc. Those that use it as their personal entertainment center might disagree.

I suppose it's mostly teens that keep clamoring for larger screens. Kind of like the speaker that can't go loud enough :rolleyes:

5. smalliphone macrumors newbie

plenty who agree

I can't stand larger phones. I was hoping the iPhone 6 would continue the size of the 5 while adding the two larger sizes. The 4s is the right size for me. It's great to offer the larger phones that people want, but don't get rid of the smaller ones or make them less capable. Just as many people like small powerful phones.

6. Enabledobject macrumors 6502

Enabledobject

7. joshkhaos1 macrumors 6502

I think there is a market for the larger phablet sized phones for folks who only want to carry around one device; I get that, but it's not for me.

8. smalliphone macrumors newbie

nope

The problem is not solved. Does the 4s have the latest capabilities? No.

9. runningtowin macrumors member

It sure would be nice though, I **love** the iPhone 4 and 4S form. I wish iPhones were upgradable like (some) computers.

10. smalliphone macrumors newbie

Agreed. The Apple devices become obsolete after a couple generations. I have a couple iPod touch 3rd gens that cant support Sirius, Angry birds, or anything beyond music anymore.
    I love my 5s, but I'd like a smaller phone with the latest features. I wont go bigger.

11. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Absolutely. If it keeps someone from lugging around a tablet or a laptop on their day job, a phablet is a very good solution. But I can't think of a single reason why I would want to tote a slab like that along in my spare time. I really don't. And I really don't want to. I like compact hi-end.

But express this line of thinking on a forum like this and you'll get asked if you've got small hands or tight jeans :rolleyes:

12. chupachup macrumors 6502

He's not saying 4" screens are too big. He is saying the iPhone 5 is too big.

And it is. iPhones are way too big because of their enormous bezels.

----------

No flagship of any manufacturer has a small screen or is a small phone. Small phones never have the latest capabilities. They're all budget phones, especially if you go < 4"

13. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

No need to think about it as it will never happen. 4" phones are no more.

14. smalliphone macrumors newbie

Yes, but at the time of release the 4/4s was the flagship phone. They keep growing in size. At what point will it stop? I see no point in the 4.7" size that is coming out. Offer the 5.5" for the "bigger is better" crowd and keep the high end small phone for those of us who want the functions without the bulk.

15. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Really? It's far more likely that Apple keeps a 4" phone in their lineup and updates its specifications as necessary.

16. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Not so sure about that. Did they updats the 4 or 4S when the introduced the 5 or 5S?

Not:rolleyes:

17. joshkhaos1 macrumors 6502

It's really interesting how the Macbooks haven't changed appearances in years and years, but Apple just updates things internally every year. I wonder if that will ever become the norm for phones and tablets. Every year I wonder how they can possibly make the phone any thinner than it already is. Seriously if the iPhone gets any thinner I'm going to feel like I could just snap it in half.

18. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

I'd love a smaller phone built around a 3.5 to 3.7" screen.

19. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

If it gets thinner you will see more and more bent phones. I hope it get no thinner than it is now. Lighter will just make it feel cheap.

20. Basilfawltyone thread starter macrumors regular

So I was almost alone ;-)

Want a phone just to call with and see SMS/Text. But still the ability to read emails when necessary.

I love my iPhone 5s but after I put it in my protective case it just is large.

Would think a 50-75% sized iPhone and an iWatch would suit me much better.

Use my computer or iPad for serious surfing and reading emails just after a small unite to communicate with.

But I suppose we are very few who wants that so nothing for Apple to shank about.

Just a thought!

21. 1Zach1 macrumors 65816

1Zach1

So Apple branded feature phone?

22. Daniel3102 macrumors 6502

I personally love the form factor of the iPhone 5. After printing out a 3D model of the 4.7 and 5.5 iPhones, I find that the 4 inch just feels better to me. I find it hard to reach the corners of the 4.7 inch, and I really don't see it being one handed. But, I bet ALOT of people will like the 4.7 and 5.5. Thats fine! I think that us who like the 4 inch screen isnt in a minority, I'm sure TONS of people like the 4 inch screen. I, honestly think that the "sweet spot" is 4 inches IMO :apple:

23. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

We're in the minority but I wouldn't say you're the only one. I still prefer the older 3.5" form factor and if Apple were to release an iPhone Mini I'd get one even if it had year-old specs (e.g. 5s). :p

24. chupachup macrumors 6502

Right now, 4" phones are cheap samsung small budget phones. Only Apple sells a 4" phone for $700 bucks.

4.7" isn't big at all. Its just the iPhone that is big. Put a Motorola X or G2 Mini next to the iPhone 6.

This here is the G2 Mini 4.7" and the 5s side by side.

Even thought the G2 has a 4.7" screen it isn't that much bigger than the 4" iPhone 5s. The problem is the iPhone 6 will be much bigger than a normal 4.7".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

How come the i6 mock-up still has that 'tall' iPhone 5 look about it? I don't mean the upper and lower bezels, I'm talking about the screen. It looks narrow and tall, where the competitors' screens look wider and more visually appealing.