want an iphone. questions regarding switching from Verizon.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by improvpaul, Jan 17, 2009.

1. improvpaul macrumors newbie

so my contract with Verizon is due to end on 2/14/09.
    my current cycle ends on 2/9/09.

so i have one more bill to pay.

i want to switch to at&t and get myself an iphone.
    i also want to keep my current number.

so, do i go to an apple store during this last month of my contract?
    should i contact verizon first?
    or do i wait until my contract is officially over before doing anything?

thanks for any help!

paul

2. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Do not cancel your verizon plan first; if you do, your number will no longer be your number and you will be unable to transfer it. Go to ATT and they will transfer the number for you, and verizon will ask if you want to keep your service with a new number...

3. MAYBL8R macrumors member

As soon as you activate that number with another provider, that will cancel your service with your previous provider and they will send you your final bill. Just tell AT&T you wish to port your previous number to them.

4. improvpaul thread starter macrumors newbie

so i go during my last month of my contract before the end to retain my number?

i read that the number has to be active in order to retain it... but also read that if i port the number while the contract is still in tact that i could be liable for a early termination fee... so i'm a little confused.

also, should i go to apple or at&t?

thanks.

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Do not go to AT&T to request a number transfer before your contract is up with Verizon and that you have verified that fact with Verizon.

If AT&T processes the number change before your contract is truly over with Verizon (and Verizon verifies that it agrees your contract is over and you have changed to month to month) you will be charged an early termination fee as a friend of mine who was impatient to change found out the hard way.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

So basically you need to sign up for AT&T after your Verizon contract ends, which means paying an extra month (even if it's prorated).

7. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

What the others said is true.

Wait until the day after your contract is fulfilled at Verizon. Then, go to AT&T or Apple and buy the new iPhone. When AT&T receives the request to transfer your phone number, it will send notification to Verizon. DO NOT call Verizon early or anything. Wait until after your number is ported before making any calls to Verizon. It usually ports within a few hours between the major carriers as long as you have the account information, including the same name on the new AT&T contract. Verizon will automatically cancel your service once it's ported over. From my experience, it was simple and never even had to call Verizon.

Congrats on your new iPhone - what a wonderful device.

8. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

even if you did have to pay an early termination fee its only $5 since there is less than a month left.

9. yojimbo1 macrumors member

One more tip: Bring a copy of your Verizon bill to the ATT store---it will make the porting process go a bit smoother/faster

10. stvfisher macrumors member

It's actually a $50 fee PLUS $5 per month left on your contact. I just terminated two contracts that have 8 months left : (

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

After your contract is over,
    go to anywhere they sell iPhone,
    they can transfer your phone number and cancel your service.

- do not cancel your service with verizon (you can check after your number gets switched over).

Yeah that too.

12. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I canceled a line from verizon with 2 months left and was only charged $10.