Want Current Uni MBP, but it's too expensive.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Demo318, May 20, 2009.

1. Demo318 macrumors newbie

Demo318

I have a dilemma:

I just graduated from high school, and for the longest time, my parents have been telling me that they would buy me a laptop for college as a graduation present. Whenever we would discuss the subject, they would ask me what I wanted, and I would reply: a macbook pro.

Now that it is time to purchase, they don't like the price of the macbook pro. I picked out a nice refurbished one, but my dad is not loving the price at all.

I'm wondering if there is any secret way to get a macbook pro of similar specs for less than $2000. I don't want to resort to begging like a little child asking for sugary cereal. My parents and I are on very good terms; logical discussions work.

Just buying a macbook is out of the question. I've got too many things with audio, video, and digital imaging that I do with computers to bring myself to invest in a machine that I know won't do the job very well for very many years to come.

Any suggestions/help?

2. Smacky macrumors 6502

3. Demo318 thread starter macrumors newbie

Demo318

After I add the stuff that I want, it's $2500. That's what I paid for the Ford Focus that I currently drive.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well then clearly this isn't the machine that is right for you. There is no secret way to get a deep discount on something unless it's a super scam.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Well if it's too expensive, then it's too expensive. You'll either need to save up or buy something cheaper. :)

Are you going to college? The campus bookstore might have some good deals.

6. Demo318 thread starter macrumors newbie

Demo318

I figured...

7. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Is this another case of 'wanting everything and the kitchen sink' but don't want to pay for it? ;)

8. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Tell us what the extra stuff that you want is. Could it be extra RAM? Don't buy it from Apple! A different disk drive? Same thing.

If it's software and it's standard stuff, then you may find that your college has super-cheap student deals.

9. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Student developer discount will bring a 17 inch down to 2,000 area.

10. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

You can get the ADC Student Developer (you will need to send in your student info because they check you are doing a computer science course). It gives you something like an extra 10% off the education pricing for any Mac. It costs USD$99 to join as an ADC Student Developer, and this discount is only good for one lifetime. You can pay for the ADC Select which is $499 lol.

That's how I got my 17 MBP. Back then it was 5k in Aussie dollars.

11. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

How about you offer some money to go with this purchase??

My dad promised me my first car when I left uni. At 25, I am still here. I doubt I can still 'claim' the car now... it would feel wrong. Maybe a loan... who knows...

12. fokket macrumors regular

What do you actually need a Mac for anyways?

For just random photoshopping and document work and internet, Macbook is more than sufficient.

13. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Sounds like someone is going to need to get a summer job... :p

14. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

just wait tell there is an update then buy the last generation refirb you can get a big discount or after and update check amazon i got a new last generation macbook pro for $1650 for the model that was selling for $2499

15. Demo318 thread starter macrumors newbie

Demo318

16. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Was about to post that :)
    I agree, job for a few weeks, maybe your dad will buy you the machine you want if you can put a couple of hundred dollars towards it yourself.

17. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

How do you know a Macbook won't work? They're fairly capable machines.

18. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Well if logic works with your folks then ask how much they're willing to spend and then go earn the difference. Seems like your only option really.

And ignore AppleCare.

19. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Agreed. I use image / video editing software quite a lot on my 2.0 unibody and it works great. What things are you planning to do with your machine, OP?

20. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

I agree with these guys. The macbook is a very powerful machine. To be honest, my 2.4 UMB is actually faster in pure processor tasks (DVD rips, Video encoding, editing and converting) than my cousin's last gen 2.4 MBP.

I'm not sure why you are so set on a Pro when you can be perfectly fine and frankly more than perfectly fine with a 2.4 UMB. Add $60 bucks to that for upgraded ram, and you have a beast of a machine.

21. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

"Expensive" is relative. Is it expensive if you can get $1500 a day from the work you do from the computer?

There are other options / models. MacBook refurb starts at $850 for example.

22. howardnow macrumors member

Mac Deals everywhere for students

Many school bookstores have extra special deals below even Apples own education discount. Many are easy going about what college you are going to (it does not have to be their school). I suggest calling nearby Universities and checking their price. Again, if you need it, buy your own RAM upgrade for around $40 or so on sale (get a good brand name).

You can wait on Applecare for almost a year. It is cheaper with the education discount. Buy it when you need it, not right away.

Refurbished from Apple are fine, but sometimes you can find a similar deal for a new machine.

This website checks prices daily http://www.pcprices.net/macbookpro.shtml

Apple and most stores give you a free or low cost printer (after rebate) if you need one. You need to buy it at the same time you buy the computer to get the printer deal.

Apple will offer a free high end iPod (iPod touch last year) during their back to school special (in June I think). You can give it to your dad, sell it or enjoy it yourself!

23. Shiner macrumors 6502

Fairly capable is not worth it at the macbook price point. It is not a good buy, period. The macbook has an "integrated" video card kid. You are right to want more. Save up your own money and help your parents with the purchase. The macbook pro is way better for college than the macbook. I know you want some gaming in that thing! Don't lie to me.