want iMac. Wait for Mavericks? New iMacs/Mac Mini in the works?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by patent10021, Oct 6, 2013.

1. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

If I buy now will they give it to me as a free upgrade?

Btw, any new iMac / Mac Mini in the works?

2. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

The iMacs were just upgraded Sep 24, but the Minis are expected to be upgraded sometime this fall. I have not officially read about retro-active Mavericks upgrades yet, for current hardware purchasers. They've offered it in the past, but if you wanne know for sure, I would call Apple.

3. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

They've already finished 10.9 GM so it would be weird not to a free upgrade since it's around the corner.

Btw, what Mac Mini specs are expected?

4. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Of course. You assume they would stop making Macs?

5. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

? What? They're still planning on building Macs? I thought they only made iToys. Hurray, great news!

6. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Haswell, Iris graphics, 802.11ac http://www.macrumors.com/roundup/mac-mini/

7. jaybar macrumors 6502

jaybar

How badly do you need or want an iMac now?

If you can wait, then just wait until to new iMac ships with 10.9.

I find it ironic that folks will spend in excess of $2000 for the iMac and then pout and ponder about the OS upgrade cost. For me, the real issue is how important it is to have the iMac shipped with OS 10.9 vs going through an upgrade or "clean install"?

There is also the important issue of comparability with 10.9. To the best of my knowledge, Apple has not yet published a list of compatible printers, scanners, faxes etc.

The over arching issues seem greater than the cost or no cost for the upgrade.

When I upgraded to ML, my costly Xerox color laser would not print as an Ethernet printer. I had to run USB for quite some time.

Step back and look at the big picture.

Jay

8. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

You assume a lot. My friend wants her first Mac and she wants me to help her speed up the learning curve. I'll be traveling around the time of the Mavericks release so we're deciding to be an iMac now before I go without Mavericks or buy it after without my help.

I guess we could get her iMac now and I can make her a Mavericks thumb drive & install Mavericks :) It's nefarious but she can buy her own copy of Mavericks after I go.

Solved!