Want ios6 not 7 have iPhone with 5

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by aicul, Oct 28, 2013.

1. aicul macrumors 6502a

I have an iPhone4 with ios5 and want to upgrade to ios6 (not 7)

I tried downloading the correct ispw file and ALT-upgrade but there seems to be a problem, it says "the iPhone ".." could not be updated. This device isn't eligible for the requested build".

I'm pretty sure I have the right ispw file (iPhone3,1_6.1.3_10B329_Restore.ipsw)

My Iphone is model MC603FD.

Any help welcome

Thanks

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Unless you have the correct SHSH blobs, you cannot restore to any firmware other than the current version. If you don't know what blobs are, chances are you don't have them and this will not be possible.

3. glasshead13 macrumors member

Not true, even with the shsh blobs, you can't currently use them to restore an older firmware on an iPhone 5 anyways.

You would have had to upgrade when apple was still signing iOS 6, it's too late now. You are either stuck on 5 or will have to get 7.

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

This is true, however, what I said was true as well since the OP has an iPhone 4, as stated in his post, not an iPhone 5.

5. glasshead13, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013

glasshead13 macrumors member

indeed haha i saw iPhone and 5 in the title.. thought we were talking iPhone 5!! :p

6. aicul thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, could you direct me to where I can find useful information on "blobs" so that I can see whether I want to go thru this ?

7. glasshead13 macrumors member

8. aicul thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the link, looks more a pain than anything else.

Sort of upset that Apple does not allow "upgrade" to a reasonable version of their iOS.

I have 2 iPhone4 and upgraded one to ios7 - just too slow. That's why I want to upgrade the other only to ios6.

Guess the deciders have too many options and hence don't care to buy a new device every year (or they get it for free).

9. glasshead13 macrumors member

if you wanted iOS 6 so bad, why didn't you update it for the entire year that they were signing the firmware?

You had a long period of time where you could have upgraded, and for whatever reason chose not to. Don't be upset now that you can't get iOS 6, it obviously wasn't that important to you!!

10. aicul thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have to say that responses like yours are always somewhat upsetting. They just hurt in that they shamefully ignore other peoples day-to-day.

So here you have it, it was the iPhone of my father that has since died. It stayed on ios6 because he was comfortable with it. Now I would prefer to have it on a newer version where the iPhone still works a decent speed and I can use "my fathers old" phone.

I trust you understand i'd rather you stop responding to this thread.

11. iOSHacker1 macrumors newbie

Out of luck

Sorry you are out of luck. Sell your iPhone and buy from someone who hasn't updated :D

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not much you can do about it.
    You either stay at the firmware version its on now or go up to ios 7.
    No other options.

13. bajaracing macrumors member

sorry to hear about your father. i would just keep it as is.

14. aicul thread starter macrumors 6502a

probably will do this

thanks to all for the confirmation of no-go !