Want iPad 2 but have Q about 3G connection

Discussion in 'iPad' started by InternetDude08, Mar 24, 2011.

1. InternetDude08 macrumors regular

So I'm going to order an iPad 2 tomorrow (I'm in Canada).

Anyway, I was thinking as to whether I should order the WiFi or 3G/WiFi model. I'll use the iPad at home 99% of the time and use my home wifi network.

I was wondering though. Am I allowed to pull the SIM card out of my Rogers iPhone and plug it into the iPad to temporarily gain data access if I need to? I don't want another rate plan for the iPad, and will be switching to Telus later this summer.

Honestly I'd prefer to just buy the WiFi iPad 2 and then use the iPhone 4 WiFi capability to connect to the 'net using my phone while I'm traveling. I always have my phone with me. Is that easily done?

Thx!

2. MikeNemat macrumors regular

Yes you can use your iPhone SIM in your iPad to give it data. You might not be able to do it the other way around because I think Rogers IMEI locks the iPad pre-paid SIMs to iPads. But yes, what you want to do will work fine.

As for the traveling point, a big advantage to a 3G iPad is that you can get a data-only SIM from the country you are traveling in for your iPad and use your iPhone only for voice calls and SMS using your original SIM. Most people find that roaming for voice/SMS for short periods of time makes a lot of sense because of the convienience of keeping your original number. However, roaming for data is far too expensive even for a minute so its much better to get a local SIM for data.

3. InternetDude08 thread starter macrumors regular

I only leave the country about once every two years, and that's only for a week or less. I decided that since I can use my iPhone for data anywhere, I'll just get the WiFi version to start. When I travel I'll always have my iPhone with me anyway... thx.