Want more info w/ FCX

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Soura2112, May 4, 2011.

1. Soura2112 macrumors 6502

Besides those of you who got to be at NAMM, I really want to know more about FCX. I read the blogs and watched the bad video of the show except I really want to know more about FCX. It's under a month away so why keep so much secret... This is an application not an iPhone so I don't see a reason not to go into more detail. Just put up on the website. Yes my patience is wearing thin because I have been waiting for an update for a very long time. In my view I don't see a problem with apple telling us more about this product.
    I'm obviously excited and from what I read many others are to, so just give us a little info to hold us over.

2. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

Well that's all well and good, but what do you want us to do about it? Nobody who knows any further info is willing to talk.

3. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Yes, everybody would like to know more, but what's another month? Besides, here's the thing:

1. FCP X is a complete rewrite. As such, we'll be dealing with what's essentially a 1.0 product. The professional post production community isn't going to jump to ship until FCP X reaches a reasonable level of maturity (and stability) they're already getting with FCP 7. And that will take a while to happen.

2. I think Apple knows this (above) and it's likely the reason they were pretty selective about what they revealed at NAB. I think they expect that FCP X will sell to enthusiasts first and will eventually make its way into professional workflows as the platform gains more acceptance and support from the third-parties. Workflow and stability are everything in a pro environment; this will always trump features. In the end, Apple's approach was better than over-promising on what they may not be able to deliver yet.

I've already decided that unless by some miracle FCP X can really replace my FCP 7 workflow straight out of the box in June (highly unlikely), I'm not buying it until it truly can, even if it's only $300. I'm sure the post houses feel the same way...

4. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

I'm thinking it might also have to do with competitors. They don't want to reveal too much, only to have a competitor make the same feature at the same time or even before it gets officially released.

5. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

You mean NAB?

I'm sure we'll hear more about this at WWDC the beginning of June. ;)

6. mBox macrumors 68020

Its a no brainer for me. Ill buy it so I can at least start at ground floor. It wont take me away from Avid/FCP at work but I will at least have a head-start in case the school I teach at gets it for Fall classes.
    Now as far as dropping it into a real world workflow, Id wait a bit.
    Ive learned to not get caught up on the hype thanks to companies such as Adobe :p
    Ill let the million plus beta-testers deal with it before I move to another CS blah blah blah :p

7. Soura2112 thread starter macrumors 6502

Lol

8. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

HA HA HA AH HA HA HA HA HA....oh, sorry...you actually thought FCP 7 was stable...

9. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

It's stable on my machine. I can't remember the last time I had a crash or a corrupted file.

10. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

FCP 7 isn't without its quirks, but it's stable enough. Frankly, I've found Avid MC to be far more temperamental on the Mac (yes, I use both).

The point I was trying to make is that more often than not, I know exactly how my post production workflow is going to behave with FCP 7. It performs the job reliably on its end, even when I have to deal with fussy camera workflows that are perpetually in BETA (I'm talking to you, RED).

11. Babybandit macrumors regular

FCP isn't without it's small issues. But it is stable in relative to the other options I have. Sadly, no software is without it's issues.

12. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Just look at Final Cut Pro v1 if you want to see unstable... I find FCP 7 to be a lot more stable than AVID MC has ever been for me, hence why I jumped ship completely to FCP, and will probably stick with it until FCP X-2 (or XI or whatever its called), although I may get FCP X and have it on a separate Machine so I can learn it, even if it doesn't fit in with everything else I use (heres to hoping they also upgrade/overhaul the rest of the suite, or at least somehow make them work together, otherwise I can see myself sticking with FCP 7 for the foreseeable).

13. KeithPratt, May 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2011

KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

fcp 10.1?

What happened with the capitalisation in my above post? I typed "FCP 10.1" and didn't alter the capitalisation of what I was quoting...