want more powerful magsafe adapter.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RKpro, Mar 3, 2009.

1. RKpro macrumors 6502

I've done a bit of Googling, and was unable to find any relevant up to date info.

I want to buy another magsafe power adapter so I can leave one in my bag, and have the other permanently at my desk. The one that comes with my 15inch MBP is 85watts. And I don't think it's sufficient.

Charging takes ages when it's ON, and at times the MBP draws power from both magsafe and battery. (As we've learned with the underclock when the battery is removed.) At first I thought I could buy a magsafe adapter designed for the more powerful 17inch MBP, but I was disappointed to discover that its the same underpowered thing.

So my question is, besides the LED Cinema display, what are my options? The Mac Mini has a 110W adapter, which is probably not compatible? Are there 3rd party adapters that work with MBPs? Maybe find an old dead Magsafe adapter, and wire up the magsafe tip to a third party adapter? Other ideas?

Thanks.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The one that comes with it is powerful enough.

There are no third party ones because MagSafe is patented. As for wiring your own, that's just asking for a fire.

3. JAJ macrumors member

gotta disagree with r.j.s. the one that comes with it and the macbook is not normal as mine constantly reads "battery is not charging" when im doing videos and a game and apple care told me its normal for the magsafe to under power it so that the battery also powers while the ac is plugged in

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The battery is by charging because it doesn't charge to 100% everytime. Or is yours not charging at a level less than 94% or so?

5. emt1 macrumors 65816

You should NOT attempt to use an overpowered AC adapter. This is very dangerous and will probably result in damage to your battery and laptop. If it isn't charging properly with the supplied adapter, then there is either

1. Something wrong with the adapter
    2. Something wrong with the battery
    3. Something wrong with the laptop

6. JAJ macrumors member

rjs, my battery charges to 100% then depletes to 95%(all the while being plugged in)...and now reads "Battery is not charging" and has stayed at 95% for a number of hours. 2 Applecare reps told me it is normal behavior because: 1) the mag safe is underpowered(and is designed to be) 2) it results in greater efficiency/battery life over a number of years

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Agreed.

If the transformer is underpowering the laptop, then there is something wrong with it.

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes. That is normal. The MagSafe is not underpowering the machine there, but it is no longer charging the battery. Nothing to worry about.

9. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

I actually just read within the past week that a webstore had a 3rd party magsafe power adapter. I don't remember who it was, but it was a well-respected company or website that specializes in mac accessories or mac-related.

they could be selling used adapters, but i thought it was their own.

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Probably used. Last I knew, Apple still hadn't licensed the MagSafe to anyone.

11. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

They haven't, but companies get around it, by cutting magsafe adaptors from burnt out, refurbished, and used Apple power adaptors and literally glueing, taping and soldering the magsafe adaptors onto their products. :rolleyes:

This company does it that produces external Apple Macbook and Macbook Pro batteries:

http://www.batterygeek.net/

12. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I can charge my system up from 5% to 80% within 2 hours. Thats more then sufficient to use on the go for another couple of hours. This is both on my 17" MBP and 13" MB.

13. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Which is completely unsafe and quite possible to start a fire.

14. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

exactly, anyone who buys and 3rd party Magsafe appliances are insane.