Want my iMac to text me when it finishes doing something...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by imahawki, Jul 9, 2011.

1. imahawki macrumors 6502a

Any easy way?

Or in theory it could send me an email... either way.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Does your provider offer an e-mail to SMS gateway? (i.e. do you have an e-mail address that gives you a text message?).

B

3. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That was going to be my next question. I just wanted to make sure there was an easy way to send texts from the Mac. :p

B

5. imahawki thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

This is a great idea for another App development. Now I'll think about name :D

7. unkn0wnsoldier macrumors regular

unkn0wnsoldier

You could setup growl on your iMac and use the app called boxcar for your iPhone. It will send you a notification for all growl messages.

8. imahawki thread starter macrumors 6502a

Growl only supports well, supported applications. I use MDRP and its not listed in Growl. I have RipIt installed as well but I really like MDRP better because I can rip only the main movie. But even in RipIt there's nothing in Growl that indicates I can do something custom like fire off an email.

9. rjames86 macrumors member

I'd suggest using something that has Growl support and then set up a http://www.boxcar.io service for Growl that will then send you a notification to your phone whenever you get a Growl notification for whichever app you want.

10. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Wow, you must have a short attention span. My measly laptop rips a dvd in less than 20 minutes, I would never see the need to get a text message saying it was done. Seems to be way more trouble than it's worth, but whatever... :rolleyes:

11. imahawki thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm ripping my entire DVD collection of over 600 discs and I have a family so I'm not willing to sit in my den watching the computer so I can pop a disk in. But thanks for judging.

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If the tool can exit after it is done ripping it should be straightforward to see that the task is not running anymore with "ps" and send an email.

B

13. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

I almost always have my phone with me, so I set the timer if I know how long something will be. If it isn't done, I re-set it for a smaller increment of time, and then add that to the next iteration.

Programatically, you could use a shell script or automated to start the rip, and then email you when it finishes.

14. McFunkerson macrumors newbie

Handbrake Supports growl, if you download VLC it will rip DVDs and post growl notifications.

I use Prowl myself to push those to my iPhone but as others have said there is also BoxCar that will do it.