Want my son safe. Is this mold?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Wolverine7123, Apr 4, 2016.

Tags:
?

Is this mold?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Wolverine7123 macrumors newbie

Feel like theres mold all over this apt. Smh

Attached Files:

2. npolly0212 macrumors 65816

Looks just like it. If you were to peel off more to the right, the spot you have showing looks like a wet patch in the wall and in the upper right corner of it you can we a different color almost like it is dry up there

3. Wolverine7123 thread starter macrumors newbie

[​IMG] this is a zoomed out picture before I peeled it
    --- Post Merged, Apr 4, 2016 ---
    --- Post Merged, Apr 4, 2016 ---
    IMG_20160404_180510.jpg

4. npolly0212 macrumors 65816

It looks like it could have gotten wet then started to peel

Working for a restoration company I would do no further with it right now in case it is actually mold so you don't stir anything up or irritate it. And call and talk to whoever you need to...landlord, insurance or whatnot

5. Wolverine7123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, I put tape over it until tomorrow when I call landlord lol

6. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

Relax - no need to put tape on it LOL.

7. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

This reminds me of a flight I was on some years ago when they were handing out small bags of peanuts. There was a kid next to me and his Dad the other side. He leaned over his son and he told me that his son was allergic to peanuts and so if I could please not give him any. Not saying that he or the OP should not be parents but for crying out loud, you don't have a toxic leak in your house! Your life revolves around your child, we get it. But you're a walking billboard for one of those annoying facebook posters such as 'you don't know what love is until you've had a child'.

Did I overreact? Yeah probably, makes two of us then.

8. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Do you...not know what allergies are?

What if OP's son has a breathing problem?

9. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Good parents teach their children not to take candy (or peanuts) from strangers. That's rule number one. My son knew by the time he was 5 that he had to question anything he ate due to allergies.

10. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Ok, but do you understand how people can react to their allergies? They don't have to eat the peanut.

11. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I do understand. If you touch a walnut and then touch my son, he risks anaphylaxis. I get it. You could also put the child by the window so that you can protect him from anyone who might touch him, give him something, or breathe on him. It is the job of the parent to take care of the child.

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, yes, I think it entirely possible that you did over-react in your post.

This is because violent allergic reactions to something such as peanuts can kill, and can kill very rapidly, and I would argue that the parent in the plane was behaving in a polite, proactive and intelligent manner.

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Exactly, the parent there was doing what he should have. I had a flight on southwest not too long ago where the flight attendants made an announcement that they wouldn't be serving peanuts as snacks on that flight because there was someone onboard with a severe allergy. Sure it was a little inconvenient if you wanted peanuts instead of the pretzels that were the other snack, but it was great that they would do it.

It doesn't seem like the OP was overreacting here either. Mold can be a bad thing, and to good for them to get it checked.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Who pissed in your Cheerios that morning?

15. Wolverine7123 thread starter macrumors newbie

There's a lot more other spots that look like mold throughout the apartment. Health inspectors are coming on the 14th so I'm asking what people think. You can start having health problems within 3 months of living under mold exposure.

16. Christoffee macrumors 6502

Christoffee

Peanut allergy serious!
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...gnored-three-warnings-not-eat-nuts-board.html

17. npolly0212 macrumors 65816

Sorry to hear that. Are -you guys gonna remain living there, or are you getting out until they come?

18. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

I know about peanut allergy. A friend of mine has it. But why would I feed his child with peanuts? It was over parenting. And this child was about 6 or 7.

19. Scepticalscribe, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

No, in this case, candidly, I don't think it was over-parenting.

Rather, I'd argue that it was an example of fair warning from a parent which came in the form of a reasonable request; from your own post, you stated that he had asked you not to offer the kid a peanut and explained why he had made this request, a explanation which is completely credible.

Some who are allergic to peanuts can be allergic even to a whiff, or the merest touch of the offending nuts. In this instance, my sense is that the father took reasonable precautions to ensure that this scenario wouldn't arise, because he had taken steps to ensure that it couldn't.

20. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

FYI children with allergies often present differently than they do in adults. These are IgE mediated reactions and can be very, very sensitive- from simple contact with the allergen to inhaling fumes of the allergen.

Kid's bodies are also may be weaker in handling anaphylaxis. They also don't handle situations in the best manner. Also keep in mind not only is impaired breathing a risk, but some people can have coronary artery spasms which can easily cause a heart attack.

Personally I don't think airlines should serve nuts on planes (granted I haven't seen this in years). It doesn't make sense to risk someone with an unkown allergy from having a reaction mid flight. Pretzels are better anyways.

21. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

I don't agree. If the child was allergic to the scent of peanuts then the father is taking a big risk of being on a flight likely to serve them. All it takes is education to his son who was clearly old enough to understand to stay away from peanuts. No need to make his sons condition my responsibility. Plus, I like peanuts and the only way his child was getting any from me would be by stealing. I actually was surprise he didn't get an announcement made to inform all passengers of his child's fragile condition. He was that type.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 5, 2016 ---
    I agree that they could not serve peanuts on flights. Maybe substitute them for raisins. I won't miss them if they do. Or maybe the parent could have sat beside me with his son next to him on the other side meaning he is taking sole responsibility. Some people just over do it though. I know someone who spent far too much time trying to find the exact temperature the room should be for their baby. Hardly raising a super soldier like that.

22. Scepticalscribe, Apr 6, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Candidly, I cannot escape the conclusion that you may be overreacting, and I'm astounded that you keep referring to a minor incident on a flight that occurred some time ago.

From my reading of your original post, at no stage did the father make his son's condition your responsibility. He merely requested you not to give peanuts to the kid, and advanced a reasonable explanation for his request. To my mind, that is taking responsibility for his son's condition, rather than requesting you to do so.

Actually, he was proactively identifying possible problems in advance, and taking steps to ensure that they wouldn't become a problem.

While I agree that some parents may be overprotective these days, the instance you have written about does not strike me as having fallen into that category. Rather, I'd regard the father's conduct as a sensible expression of parental responsibility, rather than over-protectiveness.

23. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

You disagree, got it!

24. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Fair enough. Let's agree to differ.

25. mw360 macrumors 65816

mw360

He was clearly making you aware of the allergy so that not only would you not offer a nut, but that you'd also perhaps be very careful with the wrapper, the crumbs, your greasy fingers etc. In fact he was probably hoping you wouldn't open them at all. Rather than offend you by cramping your peanut rights or suggesting you'd be careless or messy or touch his son, he asked you not to offer a nut, because offering a nut is the nicest possible way you could have caused a problem. It's pretty smart and respectful.