Want new Mac Mini but...

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by jedisaga, Aug 19, 2016.

1. jedisaga macrumors 6502

jedisaga

All,

Like most in this forum thread, I'm waiting for Apple to give news about updating the Mac Mini. I have a question... Has any PC (Windows 10) users run VMWare on the computer and loaded Mac OS El Capitan?

J

2. !!! macrumors 6502

Running OS X in a VM on non-Apple hardware is illegal.

3. grcar Suspended

grcar

But people do. It is called a Hackintosh and it is tricky to set up and it is not necessarily sure to work.

4. jedisaga thread starter macrumors 6502

jedisaga

Well, the reason for the question, I watched a YouTube video showing how to get El Capitan running on a PC with Windows 10. Kinda knew it probably wasn't legal but wanted to get other's take on if they attempted to do it and if it was worth the hassle.

J

5. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Strictly speaking a hackintosh is running OS X natively on non-Apple hardware...not in a VM in a Windows OS

6. Devie macrumors 6502a

Yeah I had a hackintosh. Got rid of it. Easy to do though. Tonymacx86 is a really good resource for it.

7. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

I think you could serve jail time for doing this.

8. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

9. Gudi macrumors 68020

Gudi

New Mac minis with USB-C ports right around the corner, just wait patiently.

10. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

11. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Both of the linked posts show use of pre-release Sierra in VMware. The opening poster asked about El Capitan. I don't have experience with El Capitan. I assume that if Sierra runs, then so does El Capitan. And if the opening poster will run El Capitan in VMware, it's reasonable to assume that he'll update that virtual machine to a released version of Sierra.

12. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

But those posts show they're running Sierra in VMware Fusion on a Mac (OS X-based) platform - not using VMware Workstation running on a Windows-OS PC - which is what the OP was asking about.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

its not illegal, its against the EULA, which is different. The police will not arrest you and throw you into jail for running OS X in a VM.

14. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

If the OS runs in a virtual machine on one platform, then it should run in the same vendor's virtual machine on another.

15. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

No way is that true - the underlying hardware of the host OS can be way different on a Windows PC than on a Mac. With OS X tied so closely to Mac hardware, if VMware didn't decide to emulate Apple hardware on top of Windows, a Mac VM on a Windows machine is not possible. Thus the original question in the first post. If it was that easy - several people would have chimed in with a definitive answer by now.

16. jedisaga thread starter macrumors 6502

jedisaga

Thanks for all the responses. Even the YouTube video I watched, the guy said it wasn't as fast as an actual Mac. Considering I have a new PC computer with an i5 processor, I doubt I'd be able to do so anyway. Oh and btw, MAME and roms are "illegal" as well but folks use them all the time on their devices.

J

17. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

I used my windows PC and turned it into a hackintosh. The core i7 was the best performing Mac I've ever had, not that it was a fair comparison to the Macs I have. I think it's a great performing product but I found it to be high maintenance. Some upgrades will break the computer, etc. The resources on Tony Mac were great though and I found I learned so much more about OS X and how to tweak it by having the hackintosh.

Eventually I got tired of fooling around. I wasn't learning anymore, I was just doing tedious tasks every now and then if an update broke the system. What it made me realize though is that I pay the Mac premium for how the product looks, and definitely not the performance.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Same here, I was a long time Mac user prior to trying my hand at a hackintosh. Initially it was fun, and a great experience but when ever a major upgrade rolled out (this was pre-Yosemite), I had issues trying to get everything working.

I'm not knocking the use of a hackintosh, but for me, its not something I'm wanting to do going forward.

19. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

Seems to be that:
    Mini = compatibility but lower level of performance
    vs
    Hackintosh = best performance but much tinkering needed.

One has to weigh the differences and make a choice.

I bought the quad-4 late 2012 which I've booted and run from an external usb3 SSD from the get-go. For my (relatively lightweight home user) needs, it's still running fine 3.5+ years after I first booted it.. Even if Apple introduces a nicely-updated Mini towards the end of the year (unknown at this time), I'll pass on it and keep using what I have because it works so well as it is.