Want new Macbook...sell iMac now or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Rovias, Apr 16, 2006.

  1. Rovias macrumors member

    Feb 22, 2005
    Well...my time with my iMac G5 has been well spent, but I need more mobility. I'm fixing to move into a small apartment with wireless access, and I would love to have a laptop to carry around the place. Not to mention that my work is providing me with an Apple Store discount in order to buy a new computer. :D I really want one of the new Macbooks, as I can dual-boot Windows and use it at work and then bring it home and use OS X for my everyday computing.

    I've got one of the last revisions of the iMac G5 (17", 1.9 GHx, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB HD, iSight, Superdrive, Bluetooth, Wireless Keyboard and Mouse, etc.). My question is, should I sell it immediately or wait until the Macbooks are actually released? I would be without a computer for a while if I sold it now, but my wife has an older iBook I'm sure she would let me borrow. I'm just afraid the value of my G5 will go down if I wait until after the Macbooks are released.

    What do you guys think? Sell now or wait? What are the advantages and disadvantages of waiting? HELP! :confused:
  2. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

    Mar 30, 2004
    Unfortunately, the value has already taken a hit from the Intel iMacs. But now you have more time to decide.

    Remember the MacBooks will have worse specs than the MBP. They may have a new design, (color? :eek: ) but don't expect much divergence from the current iBook.

    Also, you'll appreciate the 15" widescreen. I think the MBP is the winner. :)
  3. Rovias thread starter macrumors member

    Feb 22, 2005
    Thanks for the speedy response. Unfortunately, the MBP is not an option for me at this point. I would love to have one, but it's just too far out of my price range. I'm still paying off credit card bills from our honeymoon, so I will need to go the cheap route. :(
  4. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

    Feb 22, 2006
    East Coast, US
    The release of the MacBook will have little or no effect on the value of your iMac. Your iMac will keep its current value until the next revision of iMac (maybe Fall 2006).

    Let's see. The OP asked about buying a MacBook (~$999) and you told him to buy a MacBook Pro ($1999 or more). Why didn't you just suggest buying a Cray Supercomputer. I think its specs are better than a MacBook.
  5. emaja macrumors 68000

    May 3, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Macs hold their value very well and as yours is one of the last PPC Macs, it should last even longer with a good resale value. There are lots of people out there that want to run PPC apps at native speed. Just remember to check the price you want against the Apple refurbs. No smart buyer would pay more for yours - no offense - when they could get it for less from Apple with a warrantee and the option of buying AppleCare.

    I say sell when you need to money for the new one - after of course. You do not want to be Mac-less and want to be able to transfer your data and zero out the drive before selling the old one.
  6. Rovias thread starter macrumors member

    Feb 22, 2005
    Thanks everyone...I think I'm convinced to hold off on selling for now. But I HOPE beyond all hope that the new Macbooks are released tomorrow. If they are, you can expect to see my G5 on eBay. :)

    And don't be too hard on dferrara...he was just trying to help. I should have mentioned from the beginning that price was a factor.

Share This Page