want no commitment, pre-order then cancel?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by citivolus, Jun 15, 2010.

1. citivolus macrumors 6502a

ok I've searched and searched and can't find a definitive answer.

I want to pre-order a no commitment iphone but don't see any option on Apple or AT&T's website. If I buy one as a new customer, can I cancel within 3 days and pay the difference ($699 - $299 for the 32GB) plus the $325 ETF and keep the phone using with my existing (trimmed) AT&T sim? I'm not sure if AT&T will force me to return the phone else mark its serial number "unusable" in their system rendering it useless.

thanks!

2. citivolus thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok I've spoken to three different AT&T reps and they all say that if I cancel within 3 days, I will need to return the phone within 30 days else I will get a bill from AT&T for the difference of the full price of the phone ($599/$699) and the subsidized price I will pay by signing up as a new customer ($199/$299).

I'm perfectly happy to pay this bill and keep the phone. They each said that I can reactivate the phone or continue using it with a valid sim.

This seems to be a "too easy" way around getting the phone for the "no commitment" pricing right now. Can someone please tell me what I am missing??

3. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

Sounds like you got something. I'm suprised to see that you can't order a no-commitment iPhone....wait....never mind. AT&T is missing out on new and extended accounts, therefore loosing $$.

But it looks like your method will work.

4. kokesh macrumors regular

If 3 AT&T reps told you that, then it's probably the case..

So you want to pay $700 to use it on AT&T's network? Can I ask why?

5. California King macrumors 65816

Hmm, so You don't have to pay for the first month's bill? Are you sure they'll just bill you if you don't return the phone? Kinda does seem to easy :)

6. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

In the past they've demanded the return of the phone if your account is less than 30 days old.

That's why the way most people have been getting no commitment phones in the past is by signing up as a new customer, paying the first month's bill, and then canceling and paying the ETF.

Things may have changed, though.

7. citivolus thread starter macrumors 6502a

I already have a sim paid for by my work with the appropriate plan but I am not allowed to update the phone on that plan, hence I want to buy my own device and use it with that sim.

Not sure at all, hence my questions!

That's my biggest concern; what happens if you don't return the phone? Will AT&T REINSTATE your account (or somehow prevent you from cancelling) if they don't receive the phone back, or will they somehow brick the phone's ESN preventing you from using it again?