Want rMBP but which and when?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tomr182, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Tomr182 macrumors member

Finally signed up after reading for last few weeks all in the interesting posts.

I have a white macbook late 2007 that's been going strong for over 6 years now but is feeling dated given I can't upgrade it anymore and OSX wise it's maxed out. I have self upgraded the ram and HDD.

I will use a new MBP for usual email, internet, docs etc but also photo editing and music recording - neither professional, but I don't want to be held back by hardware. I also want this to last me another 5-6 years.

My questions really are

who has done photo editing and/or music recording and what specs would you recommend? And what experiences have you had good/bad? I don't want to restrict how many tracks I can use other than 8-10, or suffer big latency issues, likewise I don't want to wait all day to edit a photo.

When is the time to buy? I'm not in a particular rush, as I don't NEED it yet.

Any thoughts and insights welcome :)

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

I just upgraded from a 2010 MBP to a new 15" rMBP. I chose the stock higher end model (2.3GHz i7/16GB RAM/512GB SSD).

I'm running Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, Aperture, Nik and onOne plugins. 3D in PS CC screams. The separate nVidia 750 w/ 2GB video RAM really helps with PS CC and the plugins.

3. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

Pick the size you like, 13.3″ or 15.4″, and get the base CPU with 8 GB RAM and a 256 GB SSD. Buy refurbished to save several hundred dollars.

If you want it now, get it now. You could also wait until June to see if a minor spec bump is released, which might lower the refurb prices on the current generation.

4. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

1. Wait a few months till the next gen

2. 15" model that comes dedicated graphics. Everything else will be top notch with the model with NVIDIA.

5. Tomr182 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the input guys, 2 different points of view. I think I'm on 13" middle model on spec/cost and what I think I'll actually need in the coming years.

I would love to hold out, but spec bump probably won't give much performance increase, and broadwell seems to be delayed and delayed, I don't want to wait 6+ months even though I'm not in a hurry.

6. The Mercurian macrumors 65816

If you go 13" the mid spec is probably the one to go for - the top end one costs alot extra for little gain. But I guess your main question is do you need 15" screen ? You say you will do photo editing - is this something you were doing on your 2007 machine ? Is it new for you ? If you want to do high level maybe your want 15". If you don't intend doing more intensive stuff than even a macbook air would seem amazing compared to your 2007 whitebook. So probably the 13" MBPro is a good middle ground.

I hear ya on this!

7. Tomr182 thread starter macrumors member

Have been doing amateur photography for a few years now so kinda know what I want to do, same with music, just need a revamp to get modern and secure me for a few years to come

Thanks for the feedback, agree totally on the cost per spec thing too

8. The Mercurian macrumors 65816

Also - could be worth waiting to see if this rumoured 12" macbook air materializes at WWDC in June.

9. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

12"?? I think you are talking about iPad Pro/Maxi running OSX Maverick? :apple:

10. dalupus macrumors regular

no he is talking about the rumored fanless 12" macbook air

For the OP
    I would go to a store or a best buy and try out the sizes and weights of the different machines. I'm not positive but I think the 15" rMBP may be lighter than the 13" you have now. Since you seem to keep your machines for a long time I think it is probably worth it to max out whatever you get.

When you are keeping machines for 5+ years we are talking about less than a happy meal a month difference.

edit-- and whatever you do max out the ssd, you are going to need it to make that machine last.

11. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Maxed out rMBP that is refurbed for $500 off, still with 1 year warranty and eligible for AppleCare.