Want some opinions: white MacBook, MacBook Air or a netbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ravenvii, Feb 5, 2009.

?

Which route should [b]ravenvii[/b] go?

1. White MacBook

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  2. Rev. A MacBook Air (Refurbished)

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Netbook

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I need to buy a laptop to use during law school (mostly to take exams). I need to run Windows for that, but I already have a Windows license, so that's not a worry.

I'm split between the white MacBook, the MacBook Air (Rev. A, the $999 refurbished one) and a netbook (I'm looking at the Lenovo S10 or something).

I don't need much specs-wise, but I know that the white MacBook spanks the MacBook Air specs-wise - better video card, more ports, an optical drive, and so on. But the Air's looks and weight is so alluring.

Or I can just save $600 and go with a netbook.

Opinions please!

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    If you can save the money, I would definitely go for the white macbook.

3. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I have an EEE PC 1000H and love the portability, not to mention the fact that if I drop it I haven't lost much $$.

I'm also looking at the white book or waiting for the Rev B's of the MBP's or new iMacs.

4. akbc macrumors 6502

White MacBook would be a pretty good balance between spec, portability and usability.

S10 is a great machine, but netbook keyboards aren't the healthiest keyboards out there and is bad for typing for long periods

5. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

True that. If you don't play games, then go with the Air, if you casually do, then MacBook.

6. byocrysis macrumors regular

byocrysis

I just ordered the Refurb. $999 MB Air today for grad school, so I am going to be biased and say get that one!

7. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

For casual use I'd have to suggest the Air over the Whitebook pretty much solely based on the display. The Air's display is really nice, the Whitebook's is...really not.

The Whitebook obviously can handle heavier lifting, but I find the Air very liberating. It's nice being able to grab the Air and a stack of papers and slip it in and out of a case with such ease. I got an Air after realizing how little I used my CD drive on my laptops.

The Air definitely wins in the bathing suit competition, but if you can get by with a netbook for half the price that could be hard decision. I think it's worth the extra money for the 13" LED display.