Want some opinions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tobirinny, Jan 22, 2014.

1. tobirinny macrumors newbie

Hey all

I'm going to be getting a new macbook. It's mostly going to be for studying psychology so papers and stuff video watching web surfing maybe light gaming like the sims and taking to jobs.

I can only afford the base model on either so I was wondering should I go for the 2013 13 inch macbook air or the 2012 regular 13 inch macbook pro?

the air would offer better battery life and more portability but I would be stuck for storage and ram later on I think? where as the pro is heavier but I would be able to upgrade the ram at a later date when I have more money?

opinions?

2. taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

I'd suggest getting the Air and putting in a little extra money (lol, who am I kidding, this is Apple we're talking about. A lot of extra money.) if you can to get 8 gigs of RAM. Later, if you start running out of space you can grab an external drive for relatively cheap.

3. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

The overall price of the retina MacBook Pro and MacBook Airs are quite competitive with their PC counterparts.

4. durkkin macrumors regular

For your needs I would definitely go with the MacBook Air. That all day battery life is going to be amazing for on campus, not to mention how much lighter it is. I would definitely spring for the 8GB of ram and wouldn't worry too much about internal storage. That's what external hard drives are for, or get a mini nifty drive and an SD card for "internal" expansion.

Also don't forget your student discount. That's an extra $50 off.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You should be more than fine with either base model computers for your light usage.

I would suggest the MacBook Air since it's lighter and the better battery life.

The Retina display however is quite nice to use; very crisp.

If you're talking about the old 13" MacBook Pro Apple still sells, please don't buy it; it's slow than the new computer in just about every way. It'll cost you way more to upgrade to an SSD in the long run. For your light use 4GB is plenty, though you could pay for the 8GB and have a compelling computer should your use increase.

6. tobirinny thread starter macrumors newbie

Only thing is though I'm worried that if my needs increase as years go on the Ram won't be sufficient one thing I forgot to mention is that both the base models are on sale atm at my local electronics store so I can't add upgrades like the 8 gb of ram for the air. Where as I thought I'd be able to add ram onto the old macbook pro if I got that at a later date if I needed it.