Want some really good headphones!! (beats??)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by backinblack875, Aug 26, 2014.

1. backinblack875 macrumors 6502a

backinblack875

I'm looking to get some real nice head phones with fantastic clarity and deep bass and overall quality. I've mostly just had the apple stock headphones and apples in ear ones which are great but i really want some amazing quality ones. i think id like the over the ear headphones styled ones since it seems they'd have the best quality. Beats come to mind but ive heard mixed things, some say they are amazing and other say they are crap. So are beats the way to go, if so which one?? anyother recommendations welcome! willing to spend around $200...maybe $300

also i have a very wide variety of music, not sure if that should affect it much... i like indie, rock, classic rock, alternative, rap, some pop.. etc.. basically everything except country :p

2. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

The only two times I tried Beats (ear buds), they both went back. Too much bass and too muddy. The two earbuds I own are both Monster and they sound much better than the Beats.

Hopefully, others with more brand experience can help.

3. torana355, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014

torana355 macrumors 68020

For that budget i cant recommend the V-Moda M-100's enough. Better sound quality then beats but still has a nice Bassy sound signature, build quality is top notch and they are portable. I own many higher end cans but i always find myself listening to these :)

4. backinblack875 thread starter macrumors 6502a

backinblack875

yes i tried beats earbuds before and i as well sold them. never have tried there over the ear styled ones though

----------

hmm look promising, ill have to look into it

5. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I went with a pair of Shure earbuds because they sound great. The cable is kelvar. I don't have to turn up the volume. There are some decent Sony earbuds too. Also, Sennhiser is good brand. The Beats are heavy bass and not very balanced.

6. backinblack875 thread starter macrumors 6502a

backinblack875

very nice. honestly after looking on that site and some amazon reviews they look very promising. as of now top contender! thanks!! do they sell these anywhere or do i have to order online??

7. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

8. torana355, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014

torana355 macrumors 68020

Im in Australia so i had to order them online, if you are in the USA i would advise to order off their site as they offer a great warranty and return policy and you can also order custom shields and larger ear cushions if you have big ears.

Also don't be mislead into thinking the over ear headphones are better sounding, a good pair of IEMs will be just as good if not better for the price. My VSonic GR07 BE's will give most Over Ear headphones a run for their money.

9. dovahkiin691 macrumors newbie

The Beyerdynamic DT 770s are in your price range, they have great reviews on amazon.

10. torana355 macrumors 68020

They are great headphones but require an amp for the best sound unless you get the 32ohm version.

11. 73b macrumors regular

73b

Beats are really just not a good option. Terrible sound quality compared to other headphones in their price range. I own Audio-Technica ATH-M50's, they're super nice, half the price of Beats, and have great all-around sound. I personally prefer them over the V-Moda's. However, the V-Moda M-100's have deeper bass (ATH-M50's are a little light). Since you specified bass I'd say pick up some V-Modas and try them out.

12. cebseb macrumors regular

For that kind of budget, you have quite a few options. I have one question for you though..

Do you like Bass? From your musical genre choices, it seems that you do. If you in fact do, then you only have one option.

JVC HA-sz2000

Earth shattering bass. Bass that reaches deep into your soul and DROPS THE BEAT inside of it without muddling the highs or mids.

I'm more of a fan of custom ear molds (JH Audio, Melody Music, and 1964 Ears), but the only over-the-ear cans I've fallen for are the JVCs.

Look into it and you won't regret it.

13. stazi34 macrumors newbie

I agree, beats are a fashion statement in some places.

14. torana355 macrumors 68020

Those things have a subwoofer them aswell as a regular driver, even sparked my interest.

15. cebseb macrumors regular

Quite a fair price to boot and doesn't require an amplifier like other power hungry cans I've used.

16. aawil macrumors 6502a

aawil

I think my next pair will be the NAD Viso HP50's. If they don't work out I'll get the H6's. Anyone try the HP50's before?

17. cebseb macrumors regular

I was given a pair to audition. The sound was exceptional for its price tier, but the comfort and fit was kind of lacking for me. I think my head just did not suit the headphones. I felt a lot more pressure on the top of my head than around my ears. Very uncomfortable for long listening sessions.

18. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

19. RenoG macrumors 65816

V-Moda and Jays were two of my favorite in ear units, in fact I went through two set of V-Moda's in one year. All three went bad after a small while, for some reason they just arent reliable with simple normal daily use. Over the ear cans are a better option. I'll have to say that the best thing beats contributed to is the influx of competition which means more to chose from in the market so take you time.

20. gbkrip macrumors member

The V-Moda M100 and Audio Technica M50 (or M50x) are excellent suggestions. In the audiophile world, the Beats line of headphones has a particularly bad reputation for altering the frequency response of their headphones in all of the wrong ways.

21. David58117 macrumors 65816

Please check out the forums at head-fi.org.

This is a very loaded question...

Anyway, my setup is:

1. Monster Miles Davis Tributes (not the trumpets).
    2. Etymotic ER4
    3. AKG k701
    4. BOSE ie2

Each are very different and have a unique sound signature. The monsters are great for rock..things with deep but clean bass and has very nice mids. I listen to a lot of classical, and the etys are spectacular for it on the go. They have a more balanced sound signature (ok, it's maybe biased a little more towards the highs) - but it's strings and acoustic instruments sound the most natural on them. They sound very anemic with rock/electric instruments, and leave things feeling a bit lacking. It's a balanced armature driver, and that's simply the nature of BA. Although I had a pair of their HF5 (also balanced armature), which had a little more bass to them, they did ok with rock (not in the league of the Monsters though). The Bose are my "cheap" exercise set. They're "open" so still allow you to hear your surroundings (needed for jogging). They're pretty warm, but don't have the clarity of the others. I mainly listen to podcasts with them, when around the house.

The AKG's are open circumaural headphones and require an amp for best sound. They sound the most natural, and have a wide open soundstage. They are VERY detail oriented, and can sound sometimes like they're taking apart a song. If you need to follow an instrument's line - these are what you want. Choral music/acoustic instruments sound like they're in the room with you. These definitely aren't bass exaggerated, and sound bass-lacking when not amped. These are by far my favorite, and have the most addicting sound sig.

So as you can see - its a loaded question!

22. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

23. cebseb macrumors regular

This.

Then we're supposed to say...

Welcome to the community. Sorry for your wallet.

24. warlikewings macrumors newbie

Audio Technica ath-m150x (I believe they're called.) you should be able to find them on Amazon, or at your local guitar center for around $150 and they blow away the highest model pair of Beats audio. Now, I'm not quite as knowledgeable about headphones as some of the others here, but I had to throw my favorite pair's name into the mix. Check them out, hear them for yourself at guitar center. I think you'll find that they're exactly what you're after. Especially for about half the price of the top beats model.