want the ATI 5X on updated MBP's? then do it here.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DJ90, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Please don't waste your time. If the new MacBook Pros are done, then all the hardware has long been decided.

2. DJ90 thread starter macrumors member

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Besides, Apple prefers nvidia for the GPUs on their laptops.

4. DJ90 thread starter macrumors member

but consumers like us, dont.

5. enberg macrumors regular

Apple's sales numbers says otherwise.

6. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
  7. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Be more specific. Request either the ATI Mobility 5850 or 5870 NOT the 5830.

Why, you ask?

Because the main bottleneck for the GPU will be the memory. There are two ways you can get rid of that bottleneck.

You can either use a GPU with a 256-bit bus, or you can use a GPU that uses GDDR5 memory instead of the far slower GDDR3 memory.

The 5830 offers neither, and is thus heavily bottlenecked by the memory. Both the 5850 and 5870 use GDDR5 memory and thus hold their own against even higher end desktop GPUs.

I sent them an email and also requested Blu Ray.

By this October, this is what I want to see...

Intel i5/i7 Processor

A Significantly Higher Resolution Screen (1920×1080 Resolution in a High End 15" MBP)

The ATI 5850 GPU (Or any current gen (DirectX 11) mobile GPU with either GDDR5 Memory or a 256-bit Memory Bus)

Updated Display Port With Audio Output Support and/or HDMI port

An improved HD resolution iSight Video Camera

USB 3.0

And here is the upgrade that would be a dream come true and be a knock out killing blow to all other competing laptops...

Apple putting in an 8 GB NAND memory IC. Bought in a reel of 1000, each such card only costs a grand total of $10. Integrated into the spot where the old north bridge used to be, apple could not only have switchable graphics but also hybrid drives on each of its systems. By shutting down the harddrive and using the flash module for most activities could result in vastly faster performance and longer battery life. Put the OS on there and you could be enjoying what, 10 hours of battery life and (instantanous) boot times. I could wait another month for that.

Odds are, we won't see it in the next update. But atleast they might include it in the October update, which I'm guess they're just now starting work on.

I'm guessing the Feb update is finalized and is going to manufacterers, and everyone moved on to figuring out what they want to include in the Oct update.

8. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

You send that. Let me know if they reply with "LOL :)".

9. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Will do. :)

But I'm curious what exactly you think is LOL worthy about those specs for the Oct MBP?

Intel i5/i7 Processor - We will likely see this in the Feb update

Higher Resolution Screen (1920×1080 Resolution in a High End 15" MBP) - Lots of high end 15" laptops offer this, the 17" MBP offers this already, no reason why the 15" MBP can't in the near future.

The ATI 5850 GPU - Nothing unreasonable about that, we may even see it in Feb

Updated Display Port With Audio Output Support and/or HDMI port - Nothing unreasonable there, very easy to implement actually.

An improved HD resolution iSight Video Camera - Competitors offer this. Rumors are that Apple placed a huge order of 5MP videocams that take 1080P video for the iPhone. No reason the iSight can't use those in their MBPs as well.

USB 3.0 - Dell already offers this, by this Oct, Apple can too.

8GB NAND Card Memory for OSX - Unlikely I agree, but very doable, and very very worthwhile for the massive increases in speed, battery life, and boot times alone.

10. coolmacguy macrumors regular

There's absolutely no reason for them not to go with at least a 5650. It's TDP is on par with what they are currently shipping and it is much faster than the 330m.

11. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

5870M uses 60watt!
    It would turn the MBP into a desktop replacement!

ASUS G73JH is currently shipping with 5870M and it is 5.8 cm thick, and it reaches a measly 1 hour on full charge with a 78w/h battery.
    The MBP cannot fit it, and the MBP have a 73w/h battery..

A MBP with a 5870 will be a computer with extremely low battery and excessive heat problems.

5850 is a bit better, rated at 40watt, still way too much tho.

If you have the solution how to make a MBP with those cards and decent battery life, then I'm sure Steve has a job for you.

I hope the new MBP sports a 5830, because it's fairly good performance vs watts.
    The high end 57xx series actually are worse when it comes to power consumption versus the 5830 and deliver about the same performance.

Anyways, there are tons of threads about what gfx people want in their MBP, and most of what you are wishing for has already discussed to death.

12. auero macrumors 65816

Didn't the nvidia chips experience much more headaches for apple? So why would they prefer them? I remember they offered replacements for my mothers macbook pro because of an nvidia recall or defect of some sort.