want the iPhone minus the att plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kamikaze101, Jul 25, 2008.

1. kamikaze101 macrumors newbie

I want the iPhone but would much rather want the service provider to be TMobile. From the looks of this forum, it can be done. I'm on the clueless side on how these things work.

I was wondering - doesn't att have the whole 30 days thing where the plan can be terminated without penalty within 30 days of activation? If I bought an iPhone and subscribe with att........ then cancelled before the 30 days is over, would I have to return the iPhone too?

Thanks in advance.

2. PcEhAoCsE macrumors newbie

From my knowledge, if you cancel within 30 days you have to return the phone as well as that month's fees. If however, you cancel after 30 days, you have to pay the ETF of $175. Even if it is capable of being unlocked, as of this time I don't think it is possible to use 3G on T-Mobile's service...

3. yode macrumors 6502

yea, T-Mobile 3G bands are different and incompatible with the iPhone 3G's, but yea the answer to your question is probably to try and get one off of ebay and then unlock it when hte unlock tool comes out. then just use your t-mobile sim card and stick it in.

4. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

The 3G iPhone can't even be unlocked to work with T-Mobile yet, only the older iPhone can.

5. jrbdmb macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

The "3G" of the 3G does not work on T-Mobile, and the 3G has not been successfully unlocked yet.

Why not just pick up one of the flood of original iPhones flooding the market? It will be less expensive, and the only thing you lose is GPS.

6. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

ummmm get the old one? the 3g network is only in nyc for right now the last time I checked all you would do is miss out of is gps. Oh yeah I don't know about you all but my bill started the day i got service and then it created a new billing cycle the next day in turn charging me the monthly fees.

7. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

If you have to activate the phone in the store when you buy it, and you can't cancel the att service within 30 days after buying it without returning the phone... how are all these people selling iphones on ebay? I still can't figure out how they are getting around the att contract issues.

8. kamikaze101 thread starter macrumors newbie

that it?

was that it? just the gps is the difference? i didn't realize that was it.

thanks for all the replies.

9. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

They will cancel their contracts and pay the ETF.

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

They can add a new line to their existing AT&T account, get the iPhone for $199/$299, immediately sell the iPhone, and then write themselves a memo to cancel that line of service after 30 days.

Hopefully what they sell the iPhone for covers the initial purchase price, the first months service + activation fee, and the early termination fee.

11. GRN99EX macrumors member

I get 3G just fine from Philly to south of DC. the iPhone 3G network is no different than the standard AT&T 3G coverage map.

12. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

13. yode macrumors 6502